30

I hated the sun

I hated the sun.

It was always so bright. It was, however, warm. It has a pleasant warmth to it that I enjoy. When I was under it for an extended period of time, it gave me goosebumps.

My mother was always drawn to the sun, which is why she would take me outside to read to me. Surprisingly, I've never read anywhere else than beneath my tree. She'd tell me about the sun and how excited she was for it to rise the next morning.

She despised the dark because it meant she was away from her lover—my father. Love sick bastards.

The warmth, on the other hand, felt fantastic. I enjoyed it when my eyes would burn if I stared at it for too long. I needed to feel a little pain. I was bullied a lot as a kid for being too quiet or for always reading. It allowed me to feel something other than worthlessness.

I've never been brave enough to cause pain with my own hands. So I'd let one of the things I despise, the sun, do it for me.

That is, until...

"(Y/N) whatcha doing now— no let me guess, reading a book?" I heard Eren's voice call out.

I was on my back with a book in hand, laying under my sycamore tree. The sun beamed it's rays right towards my face as I stared at it.

A hand comes and finds a place over my eyes, it was cold, far from the temperature of the sunlight. "Hasn't your mother taught you to not stare at the sun for too long?" I pushed his hand away before sitting up against the tree.

"Yes she has, Eren." I say as a sigh leaves my lips.

"Then why do you do it? Can't have you going blind, i need you to see me when I get my glow up or when we get married I need you to see me in that suit or our kids-"

"Woahhhhh hold on, stop planning my life without me dumbass." I laughed, punching his arm. My cheeks burned and this time not from the sun. He always knew what to say or do to make me feel better.

Laughing and talking with him for a while, I suddenly got a splitting headache. "Fuck!" My hands grip the side of my head trying to ease the pain, but it didn't help, not one bit.

"Shit, (Y/N) you okay?" Eren's hands came up to pry mine off, holding them with one of his as the other caressed my head.

Why do I feel like this has happened already. I had an odd feeling of déjà vu. It was strange.

"Why doesn't it stop?!" I cry. Eren's hand pushes my head towards him. Letting me rest against him. His heartbeat was loud and fast.

"I thought I'd have longer..." he whispered so low I almost didn't catch it. I lifted my head up, i'm so confused. "You're going to wake up soon, you have to, but don't freak out. I'll find you." he pressed a kiss to my forehead, cheeks and right before he got to my lips he disappeared.