chapter 16

Two uneventful days later-

"Ow, Katara get off!"

"Take it back!"

"Okay, okay, I take it back! I'm sorry, now get off!"

Katara pushed herself off of her brother, leaving him with a bruised cheek and a cut lip. She stalked back to the fire and sat between Zuko and Iroh, cursing under her breath. A hurt Sokka got up slowly and sat across from Katara and avoided her eyes. He knew better than to make sexist remarks like that, but sometimes he said them before he thought about it.

"Sew your own pants!" she yelled at him, throwing the blue ripped pants in his face.

"Katara, please! I don't know how!"

"Well, I'd say you either learn to sew or learn how to stop ripping them!"

"But sewing is-"

Aang's hand shot over his mouth before he could get himself in deeper with the furious waterbender that was his sister. He growled and muttered something under his breath.

"What was that, Sokka?"

"I promise I'll try not to rip my pants anymore, just please sew them."

Katara stood up and jerked the pants from him hands and walked to the edge of the river to sew them up.

"Wow, Sokka. You'd better start choosing your words a little more carefully before she kills you," Aang said, holding back his amusement.

"She's nuts!" he yelled, throwing his hands up in the air. A water whip hit him in the back of the head. "Ow!"

"You deserved that," Zuko told him over the fire.

"Shut it, firebender."

"Now, that wasn't very friendly," Zuko said in a mocking tone.

"Come on guys, we don't need more fighting. Let's just settle on finding some food, okay?" Aang stood up and motioned to the woods around them. "Surely you can do that together without fighting."

"What?" the two boys yelled in unison.

"You want us to go together?"

"He'll try to kill me!"

"I'm not going to kill you, peasant! I found the ostrich-horses that got half of us away!"

"I could've found them myself-"

Both of them were caught offguard when Katara shot water at them, freezing their mouths shut. "I'll unfreeze you if you both shut up and agree to work together to find food.. unless you want me to do that too. Of course, that's not a woman's job!"

Luckily Sokka's mouth was shut, or he would've said something to that, but all that came out were muffled sounds. By the time Katara unfroze them, he had thought over what he was about to say and agreed he wanted to live to eat at least.

"Come on, let's find dinner," Zuko mumbled, waving to Sokka as he started into the woods.

"I can't believe we left everything," Toph said quietly, resting her head on her folded up knees.