chapter 33

She was walking aimlessly through the hallways trying to memorize her way around the place. It seemed everyone was off doing their own thing, but she couldn't find a single person anywhere. She sat by a fountain she found and bent some water up to play with, making random objects with it. Suddenly the earth trembled under her and she jumped up, taking a stance.

Before she knew what was going on, flowers jumped out before her. Red and blue flowers, and very beautiful at that. But where had they come from? Then there was a loud rushing sound from beside her and there was fire there. Not just fire, but fire in the shape of a heart. She looked around her, but didn't see anything. Strong arms wrapped themselves around her and she let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.

"What took you so long?" he breathed in her ear.

She was about to ask if he'd planned it when she felt something slide over her neck where her mother's necklace had just been the night before. She gasped and knew exactly what it was. A betrothal necklace.

"Will you?"

"Zuko, my father-"

"Sokka said if the father is gone, then the oldest brother chooses for you."

"I'm not 16 yet. I can't-"

"We're not getting married until then, don't worry. I respect your nation's traditions."

She smiled as the arms left her and the body they belonged to came around to face her. Her breath hitched in her throat and she suddenly wanted to hug Sokka to death for letting her have her prince even though he lost his princess. Zuko tilted her chin up and kissed her and she threw her arms around his neck, pulling herself closer. It was then that she noticed all the people peeking out of bushes and from behind pillars. It was a set-up.

Katara's eyes fluttered open and she smiled at the warmth beside her and the cool silk around her neck. She snuggled into him, unwilling to let the sun's rays wake her fully. She was happy. Yes. She was very happy.

The next couple of weeks were spent training for most of the group. Zuko and Katara spent most of their time together practicing, sparring, or training Aang. Toph and Aang spent a lot of time together as well, be it practicing or just being together. Ty Lee and Sokka were practicing on each other, him trying to improve his reflexes by dodging her jabs and her learning to weild a weapon just in case it's needed. He tried to teach her to use the boomerang, but it hurt her hand a little when it came back.

Mai and Azula mostly kept to themselves, but every once in a while someone would catch a glimpse of lightening or blue flames. Since everyone else was training, Ursa kept Alec company. He showed off his impressive bending skills and she tried to instruct him as she had seen Zuko's teachers do. Alec once attempted to teach Aang how to summon blue fire, but he's only 7 and.. well, he's not a very good teacher. Aunt Wu left a few days after Aang's reading, wishing him all the luck the spirits could grant him. Of course, she did the others' readings first.

This evening, Aang had them all meet in the huge library. Katara and Toph both had a feeling they wouldn't like what was going to be said. He was acting pretty serious and that just wasn't like him. Alec was half-asleep in Katara's lap as she sat in the floor next to a small fire in the fireplace. They all sat in a semi-circle around Aang, anxious to hear what he had to say.