chapter 31

"A little while after the meeting with your grandfather, your father sought me out to speak with me. Your grandfather told him that he would not revoke Iroh's birthright and he should know the pain of losing a first born son by sacrificing his own as punishment."

"I told you I wasn't lying," Azula whispered harshly at her older brother.

"Azula, please. I wouldn't let him harm you, Zuko, and I told him that. He said that if I wanted him to spare your life, I had to kill your grandfather and make sure that he was named firelord instead of Iroh. I didn't want to, but it was either him or you and I chose him. That night, I slipped a drug into his evening tea that caused him to have a heart attack in the night, then after I visited you, I had to leave. I was afraid to stay. I came here hoping and praying to the gods that the Avatar would come back and help me and it seems they listened after all."

"How is he supposed to help you?" Alec asked.

Ursa smiled at the boy and couldn't help thinking how much he looked like a young Zuko. "I know the comet is coming soon and it's supposed to bring about the end of the war, but not without great destruction and the loss of many lives. He would be helping me by defeating your father, but also by listening to me. I've learned many things about your father through the years that we were together, including weaknesses."

Azula and Zuko both gasped. "Father has a weakness?"

"Everyone has a weakness," Ursa told them. "Even you, Azula."

Azula scoffed and crossed her arms, but knew she was right. She hated weaknesses, but they weren't exactly avoidable. Everyone has a weakness. Hers just happened to be in the form of a certain boy, though she wouldn't openly admit it. She vowed she would have him in the end, though.

Their conversation was interrupted when Appa landed beside them all, nudging his saddle on the ground. Zuko stood up and went to pet him, then smiled as he figured out what Appa was trying to do. He unloaded the saddle and Appa laid down so he could get it on, then he was off.

"Where's he going?" Alec asked Zuko, tugging on his sleeve.

"To find Aang and the others."

"So.. they'll be here soon?"

"I hope so."

Zuko picked up the bags he'd taken from the saddle and started digging through them, hoping Aang hadn't left his new clothes. He hadn't even gotten a chance to wear them yet. A few minutes and two bags later, he finally found one of the dark red robes he'd bought. He pulled it out and something fell on the ground as it unfolded.

"What-"

Zuko's breath caught up in his throat when he saw what it was. His uncle's favorite Lotus tile. Why did Aang pack that? He gingerly picked it up and ran his thumb over it before closing it in his fist.

His mother walked to him and laid a hand on his shoulder. "Zuko, what is it?"

"Nothing," he said quickly, standing up to go back to his room.

When he was gone, Alec sat down beside Ursa and said, "It was Uncle Iroh's Lotus tile. I saw it before he picked it up. I guess he's still pretty sad."