29 | zart

29

zart [ger.] — tender, delicate

。°˖✧˖°。

it was wednesday, which meant that figure drawing was the first class of the day for quqi at nine in the morning. quqi yawned as she walked into the classroom and she reminded herself to never sign up for morning electivesin the future, regardless of her need to earn credits. to add on, she had stayed up late the night before to finish her part of her music history group project.

she had claimed her usual spot up front and was pulling out her sketchbook and her other materials lethargically when she heard the screech of the chair next to hers being dragged. she lifted her head slowly to see who it was, only to see that it was kageyama. he met her gaze and managed to mutter out a "morning."

"morning," she greeted him back, giving him a non-committal smile.

kageyama watched as she placed her materials on the desk and stifled back a yawn. his eyes narrowed as he scrutinised her entire being: her face was paler than usual, her eyes were partially open, and there were deep eyebags beneath her eyes. her hair was pulled into a hasty low ponytail, and she wore a simple shirt and jeans. in short, she looked as though she was running on a few hours of sleep and could not be particularly bothered to dress up that day, without any caffeine to perk her up.

he frowned as he asked, "did you sleep late last night?"

"hm? oh—" she brought a hand up to stifle a yawn and nodded, "yeah. i was finishing up a group project last night and we have a presentation today."

"good luck," was all he could offer before machida-sensei started the class.

throughout the class, kageyama watched quqi by throwing sporadic glances by the corner of his eyes. she was listless and pretty much moved like a zombie or a slug. she was also stifling her yawns throughout the entire class, and he knew that she was indeed extremely tired.

hence, the moment machida-sensei dismissed the entire class, he turned to her and asked, "are you free right now?"

she nodded, "i'm free till two in the afternoon."

"good, follow me," he said. though, his tone of voice did not sound like he was disseminating a set of instructions; it sounded more like he was giving a command.

quqi simply complied as she grabbed her bag and followed him out of the classroom. he made sure to take smaller strides so that she could keep up with him and not get lost. he took the lead and guided her towards the education block, stopping right in front of a starbucks on the very first floor. her eyes widened upon seeing the café and she turned to him, "since when was there a starbucks on campus?"

"it opened last month," he said as he held the door open for her, gesturing towards her to head inside first.

"thank you," she said before she headed into the establishment, and he followed behind her closely.

upon stepping into starbucks, the strong aroma of caffeine wafted into the pair's noses, and the faint scent of fresh bread and ham followed suit. he watched as her eyes practically brightened upon seeing the drinks selection and he was thankful for atsumu. (atsumu had brought him here about two weeks ago because the faux-blond was way too excited over its grand opening.)

"we can have our lunch here," kageyama spoke up as he walked towards the counter, "what do you want to order?"

"a tall dark mocha chocolate chip frappé, and uh, let's see..." she went over to the 'food' portion of the menu and browsed through before saying, "and one ham and egg sandwich."