35 | come prima

35

come prima [it.] — as before

。°˖✧˖°。

friday night seemed to be a fever dream. everything had gone by in such an excitement-filled (and alcohol-filled) haze that made it feel too surreal. especially since it was juxtaposed against this particularly dreadful and boring sunday morning, whereby quqi was seated in front of one of the imacs in tokyo university's computer lab, painfully editing a group project video that mostly constituted of her inputted work.

it was one in the afternoon and she had somewhat completed the video when her phone (which she had placed face-down on the table) buzzed incessantly. without looking, she picked her phone up with one hand before casting a quick glance at the caller id.

it was kageyama.

without thinking, she yanked out the earpiece which she had shoved in her left ear before answering the call and bringing her phone up to her left ear. she kept her eyes trained on the computer's screen, editing the subtitles while on the phone.

"hello?"

"huan-san, it's me," kageyama spoke. his voice evoked memories from friday night, and her brain automatically replayed kageyama's interesting rendition of taylor swift's everything has changed. a laugh threatened to escape from her throat, so she bit it back down with a cough.

"what's up?" she asked, fighting back a smile that was threatening to show up on her face.

"nothing, what are you up to now?" the distant sounds of people talking in the background on kageyama's end did not go unnoticed by quqi, and judging from how low and boy-ish sounding the voices were, she guessed that they belonged to his teammates.

"i'm editing a video for my group project," she said, dragging the subtitle box across the screen.

"are you in school right now?"

"yup." she clicked the mouse.

"i'll come find you," there was a muffled 'i'll get going now' on his end (he's probably talking to his teammates, she thought) before he continued speaking into his phone, "where are you?"

"i'm in the computer lab in the education block," she replied, "take your time, there's no need to rush,. i'm still editing."

"okay," he said. there was a slight pause before he asked, "do you want to eat lunch together?"

"sure."

"i'll be there in about five minutes. see you."

he hung up, and the call went silent. she placed the phone down face-up, then resumed typing away on the keyboard as she added a new subtitle in. she was so engrossed in editing that she did not notice the door opening until she felt a presence next to her. she turned her head and met kageyama's gaze, "hey."

"hey," he said, pulling up a chair and sitting down next to her.

"gimme a second, i'm almost done," she said. she frowned as she stuck her tongue out at the corner of her mouth, carefully syncing the timing of the subtitle with the audio.