51 | eutschlossen

51

eutschlossen [ger.] —
determined, resolute

。°˖✧˖°。

january was soon coming to a close, with february being two weeks away. quqi had texted kageyama the details of the orchestra concert, to which kageyama had replied to her that he would attend and even keyed a reminder into his calendar just in case he forgot.

and so, with the orchestra concert being so close, along with other school obligations being piled up, quqi and kageyama did not get to see each other often and had less time to text one another.

however, one thing they still did was walk home together. quqi would wait for kageyama's evening practice to end and they would head back to the apartment complex together.

that particular evening, though, something was different. this little change would turn to be a pivotal turning point in the following days to come.

it was nearing the end of kageyama's evening practice on a wednesday when the doors of the gym suddenly slid open. in walked a very familiar first year with strawberry-blonde curls and wide hazel eyes. she turned her head this way and that as she walked towards the bleachers, as if trying to find someone among the group of men. finally, her eyes stilled on a very familiar ravenette who was standing near the net.

"hey, kageyama, isn't that your friend?" hashimoto whispered to kageyama, jerking his thumb towards the bleachers. kageyama turned his head to follow the direction of hashimoto's thumb to see who his teammate was talking about. truth to be told, he had been so engrossed in the practice game that he did not notice that someone had walked in.

he locked eyes with the said friend, and realised that it was erika. erika gave a smile and a little wave, and he nodded once in acknowledgement before the sound of the referee's whistle grabbed his attention back on court, and he returned his focus onto the game at hand.

it was strange for erika to show up at a practice session of his. she rarely did that, even during their middle school days. unless...

"nice save!" a teammate's shout pulled him out of his thoughts as their libero saved the ball from hitting the ground on their side of the net.

he turned his head to focus on the game happening right there and then. right, he could talk to her later after his match.

。°˖✧˖°。

a few minutes after, the game came to an end as the referee's whistle blew, and the coach reminded everyone to rest up before dismissing the team. as the team dispersed themselves, kageyama walked towards erika and asked, "what are you doing here?"

"i just came to see you," she replied, then asked, "what, can't friends do that?"

"you can, but—" before kageyama could continue, a teammate yelled at him and called him over to help out with taking the net down.

"i'll be right there!" he called before turning to erika again, "sorry, just give me a few minutes. i gotta pack up and get changed. just wait outside for the time being."

"you got it!" erika stood up and walked down the bleachers before turning to kageyama and yelling, "be quick, okay?"

he nodded and waved a hand at her, telling her to go on ahead first as he helped pack up. erika walked out of the gym and waited outside as told. a few minutes later, however, she heard the sound of footsteps approaching her. turning her head to see the source of the sound, she realised that it was quqi, a poker face already in place.