Charity Event

A Month Later... Ella's P.O.V.

I walked home and plopped onto my bed, sighing. Another job interview fail, but Bruce has been able to cheer me up for all of my fails. We've been on more dates, and they've always made me feel a lot better. He invited me to a charity event tonight, so I decided to get ready, knowing Alfred was going to pick me up in an hour. I put on a sleek pink dress, and a beautiful blue topaz necklace Bruce gave me two weeks ago. It was the first out of a few gifts he's gotten me so far, even though I told him it wasn't necessary. Alfred then told me that giving gifts was one of Bruce's ways of showing affection, so I decided not to argue with Bruce anymore. It really was sweet of him. 

I heard a knock on my door and I grabbed my purse. I looked through my peep hole to see it was Alfred. I walked out and smiled at him, and he returned it with one of his own.

"How did your interview go, Miss Allen?" Alfred asked.

"I didn't get the job," I said sadly. "But please don't tell Bruce, I don't want him to worry."

"Your secret is safe with me," he stated, pretending to zip his lips. I giggled. 

"Thanks, Alfred, you're the best." 

At the Wayne Manor... Bruce's P.O.V.

I smiled and talked to my guests, waiting for Ella to come. I couldn't help but feel a little nervous to have her here with me in front of all these people. This would be the first time she'd be my date at a public event like this, there was a lot of pressure on both me and her. Then again, people had already found out I was seeing someone. Our first date had been in public, after all. It was hard to hide anything in my life, outside of being the Batman. 

I looked at the door to see Ella come in and my eyes widened. She looked breathtaking. I walked over to her and she smiled at me.

"Hey," she said shyly.

I smiled and took her hand, kissing it softly.

"You look beautiful tonight," I said. Ella blushed.

"I wanted to make sure you couldn't keep your eyes off of me."

I smirked and wrapped my arm around her waist.

"Trust me, I won't."

Later...Ella's P.O.V.

I smiled tiredly as the guests started to leave. Bruce kept his word, he didn't leave my side the whole night. I got to meet a lot of famous and influential people, who were Bruce's friends or acquaintances. Most were pleasant enough, particularly the men. Lots of women gave me cold looks, but I found it was easy to ignore them when all I had to do was look up and see Bruce smiling. I could see why so many people like him, he was charming and a great listener.

When everyone was gone Bruce lead me to a sitting room, where a warm fire was going. I sighed contently as we sat on a couch. I rested my head on Bruce's shoulder and he wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I stared into the fire and watched it dance, my eyelids starting to become heavy.

"Tonight was great, Bruce," I said quietly. "Thanks for inviting me."

"It was my pleasure," he insisted. "Everyone was enchanted with you."

I blushed and looked up at him.

"You think so? That may have just been because I was with you."

"You're giving me too much credit. Trust me, you held the eyes of everyone tonight."

I smiled and felt my face warm.