The Big Dummy

Bruce's P.O.V.

"Welding tools, motion-controlled gyroscopes, and now construction equipment?" Alfred questioned, referring to the list of items that had been stolen recently as he inspected my damaged suit. "They hardly seem valuable, or related."

"Unless you have a building project," Ella stated as she finished bandaging one of my wounds. "Sounds like something along those lines to me."

"I think you're right," I said to Ella as I moved to the computer. "Let's see if the batwave can't draw a connection."

While waiting for the connection Alfred finished patching up my suit, and Ella and I waited to the side. We were silent, but I noted how she was twisting her hands and playing with her fingers nervously. It was a rare sight for her to be nervous, usually, she'd just come out and say whatever she wanted to say. Maybe something was troubling her?

"Ella, is everything okay?" I asked, her gaze snapping up to meet mine.

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine," she responded quickly, her hands coming to a rest on her thighs.

I frowned, standing and approaching where she sat on a desk. Her gaze dropped to the floor and I took her hands in mine, rubbing them gently.

"You know you can tell me anything. What's on your mind?"

She took a deep breath and timidly looked up at me.

"Bruce, what do you think about starting a family one day?" she whispered.

I froze. I hadn't been expecting a question like this. I thought maybe something was going on with a friend or her family. Where did this come from?

"Y-You want a kid?" I asked when suddenly the batwave went off. My attention snapped to it.

"Gotham Area Space Museum," I said before looking at Ella. "Sorry, we'll talk about this later."

Ella's P.O.V.

I felt my face warm as Bruce ran off, burying it in my hands as I tried to calm my heart. It took everything in me to ask that question, but I had to.

"Miss Ella, why the sudden question?" Alfred asked. "Was this because of your visit to the hospital to aid young parents?"

"Partially," I said as I lifted my head. "Seeing them so happy with their little one made my heart swell... I could perfectly picture the kid Bruce and I would have. Dark black hair, bright bluish green eyes. It just got me thinking. I know we've only been married for about two years, and that's why I was hesitant to ask. I doubt Bruce wants to start a family now."

"Miss Ella, you have no reason to worry about what Master Bruce thinks. I assure you he wants to make you happy, and if you'd like to start a family he will give that to you, but perhaps now isn't the best time."

"I know. I really wanted to wait to say anything Alfred, I did, but it was gnawing at me and Bruce sensed something was wrong. I can't lie to him. But I also know it would be best to wait a few years. Maybe by then, he'll be on decent terms with the police, and half of these lunatics will be locked up in Arkham Asylum."

"Perhaps. We can only hope so."

Bruce's P.O.V.

Ella's question was ringing in my head the whole trip to the museum, but I pushed it to the side when I arrived. I had to be focused on the task at hand. I would come to that later. I went inside the museum and looked down from a ledge to see two large men hauling out a price of equipment from an old rocket.