Topsy Turvy

Bruce's P.O.V.

I had intercepted a call about a local judge being in danger, so I headed over to investigate and got there at the same time the police did. I waited for a moment outside as the detectives went in, not having to wait long before the Joker came speeding out on a go-cart, dragging a large card behind him. It looked like a person was trapped in it. I sped after him in the batmobile, hot on his tail. I looked over at the card to see it was the judge trapped in the card. Joker abruptly sped down an alley and I skidded to a stop, having to turn to follow him again. I chased him onto Gotham Bay Bridge and he spilled oil on the road, causing the batmobile to skid to the edge. I couldn't gain control, so I opened the top window and shot a grappling hook at one of the beams of the bridge. It wrapped around and I held on tight as the batmobile crashed into the railing and part of it hung over the edge. I let out a breath of relief that it hadn't fallen off, but I glared at the road as Joker managed to escape.

I got the batmobile back on the road and headed for the cave, just as the sun was peeking over the horizon. Ella looked to have woken up not too long ago, a steaming cup of her favorite tea in hand. I asked her to see if there was any recent Joker activity in Arkham.

"According to Arkham, Joker's still locked in his cell," Ella stated. "Has been all night long."

"Perhaps Joker left some manor of decoy in his place," Alfred suggested.

"Could be, Alfred," I said as I paced. "But other things don't add up. Joker abducted judge Winksel, but not before leaving him for the police and me to see."

"You're not actually expecting Joker to make sense, are you?"

"It was Joker's calling card, a way of announcing his plan."

"Do you think there's more to come?" Ella asked.

"Maybe Joker's out to collect a full deck of those who've crossed him."

"Fifty one more victims?" Alfred asked. "Where would you start?"

"One name is sure to be on his hit-list. The Batman."

Ella frowned and stood from her seat, approaching me.

"Be careful," she said.

"I will."

"Bruce, I really mean it. I-I don't want that psycho to get his hands on you."

I saw the genuine fear and concern in her eyes, and I heard it in her voice as well. I cupped her cheek tenderly and leaned down for a passionate kiss, keeping her body close to mine.

"Remember our wedding vows?" I asked as we pulled away. 

She smiled softly and nodded. "You promised that no matter where you go in the world, you'll always come back to me."

"And I meant it. So always remember that." She nodded and I felt her relax. "Now, I have to lay bait at Joker's last known house of cards."

I headed to Monarch, an abandoned building Joker had used as a hideout in the past. I walked around, finding a lot of abandoned crates and clown stuff lying about. I felt a presence behind me and turned, but no one was there. I frowned and kept walking, but looked to my side to see a joker-shaped shadow following me. I ducked between some rows of boxed and shot up to the ceiling. Joker laughed as he turned the corner and pointed a gun into the hall, but I jumped down from above and the tube connecting to the gun ripped. Joker went flying back into a junk pile and he grabbed a tube.

"Not too talkative, are you?" I questioned.

He didn't say anything as the tube turned into a pogo stick. He started jumping away and I gave chase. I threw a batarang at a shelf holding up boxed over the exit, knocking them down and blocking Joker's escape route. He bounced back at me and I jumped on a stack of boxes. He followed me down and suddenly took the pogo stick and aimed it at me. The bottom of it opened and an orange energy beam shot at me. I dodged and started running as he fired off more and more shots. I threw a batarang down the center of the gun and he tossed it away before it exploded.