The Big Heat

Bruce's P.O.V.

I was investigating another robbery, but this one wasn't the first in a string of them that had something odd about them. They were all committed on high floors of buildings, places where only I could reach from the outside, and their windows were burned through. Like the one I was observing now. There was a ring where the glass used to be, the outline still an orange color from the heat.

"Master Bruce?" Alfred asked on the coms. "Haven't we discussed not staying out late on school nights?"

"What is it, Alfred?" I asked as I took the temperature of the heated glass.

"I thought it fit to remind you of your meeting with the mayor tomorrow morning. Actually, that would be this morning now."

"The glass has been seared," I said, ignoring Alfred for a moment. "Just like at the research lab two nights ago." 

Alfred sighed. "Off you go then."

I jumped through the hole into the building to find a row of computer servers, which had been destroyed. I tapped a button on my cowl to turn on the UV light, allowing me to see they were seriously overheated in certain areas. I walked forward and turned a corner to see someone there, messing with something I couldn't see. I threw three throwing knives beside his head to alert him of my presence and he whipped around. I ran over and jumped on top of a broken server.

"Working late?" I asked.

"Midnight shift," he responded. "Like you Batman."

A light on the end of his jet suit started glowing so brightly that I had to look away. When it finally died down I looked to see his raising an arm and I moved just as a device fired something a beam of light at me. He kept firing shot after shot, but after a few attempts, I grabbed him and pushed us through a window. We struggled for a moment before he kicked me away and started flying back up. I fired a grappling hook at a nearby billboard and swung safely onto a building. I looked back and the man flew closer to me.

"You're full of surprises!" I stated.

"I'm Firefly," he stated. "Get it? Fire and fly."

He started laughing and I threw two batarangs. One he blasted at, while the other cut the fuel tank on his arm. His beam hit the building and wouldn't stop, heading towards me. I jumped away to avoid being blasted, the billboard breaking in half and falling beside me.

"You're going to pay for that," Firefly said as he looked at the leaking fuel.

His other arm aimed to fire, but he suddenly stopped and looked at his wrist.

"Next time," he said before flying away.

I wouldn't be able to keep up at the speed he was going, so I didn't try it. However, as I looked at the fuel he had left behind, I figured it would be a good idea to grab a sample and find out what it was.

"Alfred, I've met our arsonist," I said into the coms. "He targets computers. Not sure why. But he has a jetpack and laser technology like nothing I've ever-" I paused when I heard static. "Alfred?" I reached up to one of the points in my cowl to find it had been broken off, meaning my coms were down. "Firefly, huh?"

That Morning... Ella's P.O.V.

Bruce and I were at Mayor Grange's office in the town hall, paying a scheduled visit we did every once in a while. Bruce walked over to a picture of Grange and his dad, Thomas Wayne, a large fish being held by the two of them.

"Don't let that photograph fool you, Bruce," Mayor Grange said with a chuckle. "I may be holding that fish but your father caught it."

"Dad always did subscribe to charity, Mayor Grange," Bruce said with a smile.