Chapter 15

Harli's POV

The next morning, I woke with my head resting on Jess's collarbone and her steady breaths moving my hair. I blinked a few times trying to get my bearings, and a steady pounding started up in my head. Jess shifted and turned over, so I took the opportunity to crawl out of bed.

I tripped three times on the way to the kitchen and almost spilled the water trying to fix coffee. When Jess finally emerged, looking equally as miserable, she went straight to the fridge. Neither of us spoke until the coffee was finished and I fixed her a mug.

She moved away from the fridge without actually grabbing anything, "Do you remember our old hangover breakfast?"

I lifted my cup in the vague direction of the fridge, "Bags are in the counter over there."

Jess took another sip of coffee and moved to get the bags, eggs and whatever vegetables I had in the fridge. She always handled hangovers better than me.

"Hey, lazy, boil the water why don't you?"

I rolled my eyes but sluggishly moved to get a pot and do as she said. When we had the eggs in the bags and the bags in the pot, Jess set a timer and we left to get ready as best as possible.

The shower started to clear my thoughts, and a memory hit me, "Oh my God, did I meet Patrick Kane yesterday?"

"And a cute Australian guy."

"Ashton," I responded before rinsing my hair, "he was cool."

"Beach today?" she asked after spitting out toothpaste.

"Why not."

*******

The sun was leeching every ounce of energy out of our bodies as we lay on the sand, and I was pretty sure Jess snored a few times. Jacob texted me in a panic about him dancing with Patrick Kane as well as getting Patrick Sharp's autograph. I couldn't help but laugh.

Suddenly, a shadow fell across me and I squinted up at the person standing above me, "Can I help you?"

A boy covered in sand dropped down next to me, "Good to see you again."

"Ashton," I replied with a smile, "small world."

"Do you think your friend would mind if I were to steal you away for a bit?"

Jess stirred a little before responding, "I don't mind, go have fun."

I stood and pulled on some shorts and a t-shirt over my bikini, "Let's go then."

We walked down the beach for a bit, toward the shops. Ashton was good at small talk, though it probably helped he wasn't fighting a hangover. Before we made it to the cluster of restaurants, Ashton reached over and grabbed my hand which had been brushing his for five minutes.

I smirked at him, "Your hand is a tad sweaty."

"Your hand is extremely sandy, you aren't perfect either, Harli."

Before I could stop myself, I blurted, "Yeah, Harry made that very clear."

Ashton raised his eyebrows and squeezed my hand, "That was a jerk move on his part."

"Yeah, but I don't think he was in a good mindset at the time. It doesn't really matter I suppose, it's not like we were best friends or anything."

The restaurant he chose was full, but we got a table without a wait. He pulled out my chair before sitting down next to me. The menu was huge and overwhelming for my still lackadaisical brain. Ashton set his down and looked at me, "Are you okay?"