ten.

CHAPTER TEN
play nice, hakeem

Jamal

next day

Hakeem had promised his fans that he and Jamal would make a song together, so they were going to keep that promise. That was why they were in the studio brainstorming.

Jamal was hype for the song. Never in his life did he think he'd be collaborating with his brother because their music was so different, but he had a feeling it was going to be a banger.

He and Hakeem were listening to the instrumental, and Jamal liked it a lot. So did Hakeem. They already knew what they wanted the song to be about: each other. About them coming back from the beef, and having each other's backs forever. And they would. Andre wasn't tearing them apart again.

Hakeem was focused on his phone more than the music and it was annoying. "I swear, ever since we did that Instagram live, you've been looking at your phone a lot."

Hakeem shrugged. "You know my phone's never dry."

"Oh, I know. But can I ask you something? How come you looked startled when we were on live?"

Hakeem quickly said, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"You know what I'm talking about. We were reading comments and something scared you. What?"

"Like I said, I don't know what you're talking about because nothing scares me."

Jamal didn't believe that. "Hakeem-"

"Let it go, Jamal! I didn't read a comment that mentioned you getting hurt or anything!"

Jamal stared at him suspiciously. "I didn't say you did...?"

Hakeem swallowed hard. "Oh. Good. Because I didn't."

"Whatever. Let's just focus on this song."

Hakeem put his phone away. "I'm ready to record my part."

"That fast?"

"Yeah. I got the lyrics down packed."

Jamal chuckled. "Damn. Okay. You're really not trying to disappoint the fans."

Hakeem laughed and got in the booth. Jamal played the music, and the instrumental changed when Hakeem part began. It was fire as hell, and also dramatic, so Jamal knew Hakeem was about to go hard.

HAKEEM :

See, I always stayed down for my bros
Staying loyal should be how it goes
I was riding with them, but then we lost control when we hit some bumps in the road
Ask Andre, bet he knows
He was keeping secrets on the low
All them lies that you told
Thought you kept it real, but you don't

I knew the whole time that you was a fake one
And then you ain't even wanna say nothing
Just wanna act like a straight punk
Plus-

Jamal didn't let him finish. He cut the music off and Hakeem was confused. "Okay, wow. I knew you were gonna go hard, but...wow."

"You ain't like it?"

"Do I like you calling Dre out? Yeah. But I don't want that to be on the song," Jamal answered.

Hakeem scowled. "You defending Andre now?"

"No, but I don't want this song to be about what he did to us. I want it to be about you and I coming back from the drama, and showing everyone we're united again."

"Your verses are talking about that. Mine are going to talk about Andre."

Jamal spoke gravely. "Hakeem, if Andre hears that, you know he's gonna go ballistic. I'm not in the mood for any more drama, so can you please change the lyrics? Please?"

Hakeem sucked his teeth. "Fine. I'll write some new lyrics to match yours."

Jamal hoped he wasn't lying.

Lucious

Becky walked into the room. "Alright. It's finalized, Lucious."

"He's here?"

"Right outside."

"Bring him in."

Becky went to retrieve Gram. He was a new Empire artist that Lucious had just signed; he was a rapper like Hakeem. Lucious signed him because Blake was gone. He needed to replace him.

A light skinned guy with cornrows entered the room. Lucious got up to greet him. "Gram!"

"Wassup, Lucious!"

Lucious shook his hand. "I appreciate you leaving your old record label for Empire."

"That record label ain't got shit on you."

Lucious laughed. "I know that's right."

Gram looked around. "When do I get started?"

"You can get started right now. Let me show you around first." They walked out of the room. "You already know Becky. If you need help when I'm not around, you go to her." Now Lucious pointed down the hall. "That's my eldest son, Andre. It's best if you avoid him, but if Becky and I aren't available, he's who you go to."

Jamal was looking at them while talking to Tiana. "That's my other son, Jamal. He's an artist too."

"Oh yeah, I know him. He's the sentimental lover boy."

Lucious laughed again. "Yeah, that's him. And that's Tiana Brown. Empire's top artist." Lucious saw Gram looking at Tiana real hard, as if he wanted her or something. He better chill because Hakeem already had that on lock.

Gram licked his lips. "I know her too. I'm a big fan."

"I see that. You're looking at her kinda hard."

"I just don't see girls as pretty as her often. Most of the girls around here are busted."

Lucious glared at him. "I hope that doesn't include my daughter."

"Oh no! Never! She's gorgeous too!"

"Mhm. Well, let me show you where the studios are."

Gram objected. "Na, it's okay, Lucious. I can find the way."

Lucious noticed Tiana had walked by right as he said that. Gram looked at her the entire time and then followed behind her.

Lord.

Jamal walked up to him now. "Who was that, dad?"

"That's Gram. Empire's new rapper."

"You're sure Hakeem's going to be okay with this?"

"Why wouldn't he be?"

"Because when Blake first came around, Hakeem felt threatened. They had beef," Jamal reminded him.

"You think the same thing's gonna happen with Gram?"

Jamal nodded. "Did you see the way he was looking at Tiana? He's gonna try to make a move on her."

"Your brother has that on lock."

"Yeah he does. But that doesn't mean he's gonna let Gram slide. So yeah, this smells like a recipe for disaster."

"You better keep Hakeem under control then." Because Gram wasn't going anywhere. Hakeem better learn how to play nice.