forty nine.

CHAPTER FORTY NINE
bad luck central

Jamal

next day

It was performance night. They were all at Club Nirvana and the place was packed because Jamal's fans were there, and so were Tiana and Hakeem's. And Hakeem and Tiana had a whole lot of fans.

Jamal did too now, but he still didn't have nearly as many as them.

He was standing away from everyone while looking around. Warren spotted him. "Hey. Why you standing here like a creep?"

Jamal kept looking around. "Look at all of these people, Warren. It's a full house."

Warren laughed. "Are you going to comment on the audience's population every performance?"

"Probably. This feels so unreal every time."

"They're all here for you, and I am too. Give us one hell of a show, okay?"

"Well, when you put it like that..."

They laughed as Cookie and Ro walked up to them. Cookie gasped at the sight of him. "Oh, Jamal! You look so nice!"

"Thank you, Ma. Hakeem and I are wearing the same outfit."

"I can't wait to see what Tiana's wearing!" Ro said.

"I saw her! She looks absolutely breathtaking!" Cookie complimented.

Warren spoke. "That girl is a star, so I'm not surprised."

"Hakeem's probably gonna go crazy when he sees her then," Jamal said.

Cookie touched his arm softly as she questioned him. "Are you nervous, baby?"

"A little bit. I never shared a stage before. And I'm also nervous because Ro is here. Blake-"

Cookie cut him off. "We couldn't leave her home alone, Jamal. Not after what happened last time. She's safer here with us."

Royalty doubted that. "Let's be real, mom. I'm not safe anywhere."

"Don't talk like that! Blake isn't touching you!"

Jamal hoped that was true. "Let's hope not. I don't want any problems tonight."

Cookie nodded. "Well, come on. Let's find your brother and father."

They walked off, but Jamal doubled over in pain. There was a sharp pain coming from his side, which made him wince and hold it.

Warren looked at him. "You okay?"

Jamal lied through his teeth. "Y-Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go." He tried to walk off again, but the pain was excruciating. So excruciating that he had to quickly sit down in the nearest chair.

Warren had nothing but concern in his eyes. "What's wrong? Is your wound hurting you?"

"Your wound? You're in pain?" Cookie exclaimed.

"No, Ma."

"Don't lie to me, boy! Are you in pain?!"

Jamal let out a deep breath. "Yeah, but it's okay. I'll be fine."

"That's not okay, Jamal!"

"I'll just take some painkillers!"

She objected. "No, you need to sit down and relax your body. You got back onto your feet too soon. I knew you should've stayed on bed rest."

Now he objected. "I can't just sit here. I have a performance to do."

"You're not going on that stage. Your health comes first."