forty one.

CHAPTER FORTY ONE
naive

Tory

next day

Jamal had gotten released from the hospital three days ago, but Tory hadn't seen him because she wanted to give him some time to heal. He should be feeling better now, so she was going to check on him. He could probably use the company anyway.

The last conversation she had with Jamal wasn't a good one because of Warren. He messed up the vibe, man. It was a shame because Warren was cool to her at first, but he was strange now.

Warren acted...clingy. He acted like he couldn't live without Jamal, and Tory knew why. Because he liked Jamal. That wasn't okay with Tory because Jamal could do so much better than Warren. Better like her, even.

She arrived at Jamal's condo, but halted when she saw Warren standing outside of Jamal's front door. She stared at him in disgust and confusion. Why was he always around Jamal? Let the man breathe, Warren!

Warren noticed her. "Oh, look who it is."

"Seriously, Warren? You're being creepy now."

"How am I being creepy, Tory? I'm not doing anything."

"You're lurking outside of Jamal's front door! That's creepy!"

"That shows how much you know because Jamal knows I'm out here," Warren replied.

She didn't believe that. "I highly doubt that because he would've let you in."

"I'm his bodyguard now, Tory. My job is to protect him at all costs, and that's what I'm doing."

She furrowed her eyebrows. "His bodyguard? So...you're always gonna be around him?"

Warren nodded. "Until the day he dies."

That was actually so fucking annoying. She huffed. "Whatever. Can you let me in?"

"Mmm, I don't know if I should. Jamal doesn't need stress right now."

"I'm still his friend, Warren. I have the right to check on him."

Warren challenged that statement. "Are you still his friend though? I'm not sure if Jamal would say the same after your last conversation."

He was pissing her off, so she argued with him and he argued back. They were very loud right now. So loud that Jamal came out to see what the hell was going on. "Yo! Yo!" Jamal yelled, causing them to stop arguing. "What the hell is going on?!"

"I came to check on you, but Warren refused to let me in. That's what's going on," Tory snitched. "Can you please put your bodyguard in check?"

"She can come in, Warren."

Warren moved out of the way. "Alright, my bad."

"Yeah, your bad." Tory rolled her eyes and walked into Jamal's condo.

Jamal closed the door. "What do you want, Tory?"

"I'm here to check on you. How are you feeling?"

"I feel fine."

"That's good. And hey, I'm really sorry about our last conversation. I shouldn't have brought Mateo up," she apologized.

"Actually, I need to talk to you about him."

That shocked her. "What's up?"

"Mateo stopped by the day after I got released from the hospital, and said something that isn't adding up."

"What'd he say?"

"Well, Warren told me Mateo never stopped by to visit me in the hospital, but Mateo said he did visit me. He said you're his alibi."

What the fuck? Warren was a fucking liar. Mateo did visit Jamal. They had a whole conversation. She told Jamal the truth. "Warren's lying to you, Jamal. Mateo did visit you. I talked to him."

"You see, I'm having a hard time believing that because it makes no sense. Warren has no reason to lie to me."

Yes he did. "Really? I can think of a real clear reason."

"What?"

"He's crushing on you!"

Jamal laughed that off. "Okay, now you're saying anything."

"How can you not see it, Jamal? The guy is super clingy, and he flirts with you all the time."

"I thought the same thing, but no. Warren would never flirt with me in a million years. We're just super close."

He couldn't be serious. "He literally lied to your face and said Mateo didn't visit you when he did. He wanted you guys to break up because he wants you to himself."

But Jamal wasn't listening. "Alright, I'm done listening to this."

"You need to listen, Jamal! You need to open your eyes!"

"Warren wouldn't lie to me, Tory!"

"And I would?!"

Jamal thought so. "You would for Mateo, because Warren's right, you don't like him at all."

Wow. "Jamal, you know I'm the nicest person ever. So if I don't like someone, it's for a damn good reason."

"Well, I like Warren, Tory. I don't see anything suspicious about his behavior."

"And that's the problem. You can't see it, but the signs are right in front of your face."

"You're also in my face, and I'm starting not to like it, so you should go," Jamal said rudely.

She looked at him hurtfully. "Seriously?"

"Just leave, Tory! Because you've honestly been pissing me off too much lately. So how about you don't come back."

"Jamal-"

"Warren!" Jamal called.

Warren came running. "Wassup?"

"Please escort her out."

Warren tried to grab her, but Tory yanked her arm away. "Don't put your hands on me!" Then she glared at Jamal one last time before leaving. The door was now closed and she hissed at Warren. "You're a liar, Warren, and Jamal's gonna find out."

Warren smirked. "Whatever you say, Tory."

Yeah, whatever. And since Jamal didn't want to talk to her, she'd just go talk to Mateo.

-

Tory knocked on Mateo's front door and he opened it confused. "Tory?"

"Hey. Can we talk?"

"Uh, sure. But how do you know where I live?"

"I know a lot. Like about how Warren sabotaged your relationship," she said. "I know he lied and said you never visited Jamal, when you did."

Mateo was angry all over again. "I told Jamal to ask you for the truth."

"He did, but he still doesn't believe me."

Mateo scoffed. "Of course he doesn't. Warren's blinded him."

That was too true. "I know, and it's pissing me off. Now Jamal is done with me too."

Mateo just huffed. "Whatever. If Jamal wants to be naive, let him be naive. I'm sick of fighting over him."

"So you're done with Jamal?"

"100%. I'm moving on. He can stay with Warren for all I care."

Well, Mateo might be sick of fighting over Jamal, but Tory wasn't. The last thing she wanted was for Jamal to date Warren. That guy was way too scheming, so if Mateo really was done with Jamal, then Tory guessed it was her turn to shoot her shot.

Someone had to get Warren out of the picture, right? And she couldn't lie, she'd always felt something for Jamal anyway.