forty three.

CHAPTER FORTY THREE
funeral

Cookie

next day

Cookie was in her bedroom, staring at herself in the mirror sadly because she really hated days like this. Today was the day of Rhonda's funeral and she was dreading it because she'd been to a funeral once before. Her own father's. And it wasn't a pleasant experience.

She knew today would be no different. At least no one would blame her for the death this time.

Lucious came into the room and stood behind her. "That dress looks nice on you."

She frowned. "Yeah. Sucks it's for an occasion like this though."

"I hate funerals," Lucious said with a sigh.

"Me too. I've been to a funeral before, and it wasn't very nice."

"I really am sorry about your dad," Lucious said wholeheartedly.

"I know, but his death isn't what's making me sad. It's the fact that we could've been burying Jamal and Andre today too."

"We're not, and we won't. I'm gonna make sure I die before they do."

Cookie didn't like that at all. "That was tasteless."

"What do you mean?"

"Because you really are dying, Lucious."

"Exactly. So for these last three years, I'mma make sure none of my kids meet the same fate as me."

"I believe you." Then Cookie sighed deeply. "I guess we should get going."

Lucious held his hand out and she grabbed it. "Don't worry, everything will be fine."

She knew that was a lie. When did anything ever go well for their family?

-

They were at the funeral home. The family was there except for Royalty because they didn't need Blake shooting the place up. She'd be safer at home.

Rhonda's coworkers and friends were also there. So were her parents. The one person who should be there the most wasn't: Andre. Cookie knew everyone would realize that.

She was right because Rhonda's mother and father walked up to them and she could sense the tension. Rhonda's mother said, "Hello Lucious, Jamal, and Hakeem. And you must be Cookie Lyon. Andre's mother."

"The one and only."

"It's a shame you didn't attend your son's wedding. I heard you were too busy in a jail cell."

Cookie got defensive. "You tryna be funny?"

"Oh, don't get offended. It's just facts. Speaking of your son, where is he?"

Lucious spoke. "He couldn't make it."

"He couldn't make it to his own wife's funeral? What kind of mess is that?"

"He's going through something," Jamal said.

"We're all going through something. Our daughter died, and probably because of Andre for all we know. Is that why he's not here? Because he's guilty?" Rhonda's mother accused.

Rhonda's father tried to calm her down. "Calm down, honey."

"Don't tell me to calm down, Bill! You have your suspicions too!"

Hakeem grew annoyed. "Man, chill out! My brother ain't no killer! Rhonda killed herself!"

"Our daughter wouldn't kill herself! She wanted a divorce from Andre and then ended up dead!" Rhonda's mother argued. "Andre is guilty, and you all are too for lying about it!"