forty six.

CHAPTER FORTY SIX
competition

Warren

Warren was taking Jamal back to his place since his rehearsal was over. He'd been hysterically laughing the entire time, and Warren wanted to know what was so funny. He wanted to laugh too.

"You wanna tell me what's so funny?" Warren asked.

"Rehearsal was. My brother is something else, man. So is Becky."

"What did they do?"

Jamal explained. "Becky is the one who has us performing, and she came up with this wild ass concept. The performance is basically about Hakeem and I fighting over Tiana."

"What the hell? That's his girlfriend."

"Exactly! It's so beyond raggedy!" Jamal exclaimed. "But apparently, the fans are going to love it and Hakeem is cool with it, so."

"So the concept is making you laugh?"

"No. Hakeem was so in character, and it was the funniest shit ever." Jamal laughed some more. "That made my whole day."

"Damn. Here I was hoping that I could make your day," Warren said sadly.

Jamal reassured him. "You make my day all the time, Warren."

His heart fluttered. "I do?"

"Yeah. You're always by my side helping me out, and I appreciate that. You mean a lot to me and my family."

Warren smiled and nodded, taking in Jamal's facial features. He was so perfect and it made Warren angry that he had dated Mateo. He deserved so much better than that fool. That was why Warren got rid of him.

Yes he lied and said Mateo never visited Jamal in the hospital, but he didn't do it to be a dick. He did it because it was in Jamal's best interest. Warren knew Mateo didn't give a shit about Jamal, and he was right because if he did, he wouldn't be posting pictures with some new guy.

Yeah, Jamal told him about that. So honestly, even if Jamal found out he lied, Warren didn't think he'd be mad because Mateo proved he ain't shit. Jamal now knew he dodged a bullet, so Warren believed he'd thank him actually.

"Thank you, Jamal. Those words mean a lot also," Warren said with a smile. "I can't wait to see you perform. You know we gotta celebrate afterwards, right?"

"Yeah, if I don't fuck up."

"Don't start doubting yourself. You kill every one of your performances. You know that. The only difference is that you're gonna be sharing a stage this time," Warren told him.

"Yeah, and that's what has me nervous. I've never performed with anyone before, especially not with two of Empire's hottest artists," Jamal fretted.

"You're Empire's hottest artist too. Don't forget that."

Jamal smiled, and that smile made Warren want to do things. Things he could never do. At least not yet. It was too soon. But he'd do it one day.

Jamal diverted the attention. "But enough about me, are you okay?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Because Blake killed all of dad's security guards, and they were your friends."

Warren wished Jamal didn't bring that up because he'd been trying very hard to forget about what had happened yesterday. He couldn't believe Blake had killed his friends in cold blood and left their bodies out on display. And for what? Over a girl that didn't want him?

Warren also didn't understand how the cops have yet to find his ass. He was running around in broad daylight with a damn assault rifle. How was he hard to spot?

Warren was filled with sadness. "They were good men. They didn't deserve to be murdered like that."

"I know they didn't. I'm really sorry."

"Yes, I'm really sorry too. It sucks losing people close to you. That's why I'm so glad you came back to us, Jamal. I don't know what I'd do without you," Tory said from in front of them.

Tory touched his arm and Warren got hot. He didn't like Tory at all because she damn sure didn't like him. But that was fine. Jamal liked him, and that was all that mattered.

Warren spoke to her. "Um, Tory, what are you doing here? Jamal told you to leave him alone."

"I'm here to apologize."

"For what?" Jamal asked.

"For lying to you," Tory answered. "Warren was right. Mateo never visited you in the hospital. I was covering for him."

"Why?"

"Because Mateo wanted me to."

Warren furrowed his eyebrows at her because Mateo did visit Jamal in the hospital. Tory knew that, so why the hell was she lying now?

Jamal said, "I appreciate you for finally being honest."

"So you forgive her just like that?" Warren asked him.

Jamal shrugged. "Why not? I feel like I was being too harsh on her anyway. So we're cool, Tory. Just don't lie to me again."

"I never will. I actually got you something."

"What?"

Tory left and came back with a box of pizza. Warren was so confused. "Pizza?"

"Not just any pizza. Pineapple pizza," Tory announced. "Jamal's favorite food."

Tory opened the box and Jamal's mouth watered at the sight. "Okay Tory, you are definitely forgiven now."

She giggled and fed him a slice, and Warren was really getting angry now. He should be the one feeding Jamal his favorite food. Not Tory.

He tried his best to sound calm. "Oh. So pineapple pizza is your favorite food? I didn't know that."

"I bet there's a lot you don't know," Tory commented.

Warren glared at her. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"That maybe you two aren't as close as you think you are."

"Chill, Tory. We are close," Jamal said.

"Yeah, closer than you and him will ever be!" Warren snapped.

"Who's the one buying him his favorite food and feeding it to him? Not you," Tory fired back.

Jamal shut them up. "Okay, can y'all please stop arguing over some damn pizza? It's unnecessary. We're gonna eat this together, okay?" Warren and Tory nodded while staring at each other angrily. Jamal said, "Good. Can we go upstairs before this pizza gets cold?"

"Of course!" Tory chirped.

Jamal left them alone, and as soon as he did, Warren questioned Tory. "Why the hell did you lie about Mateo not visiting him?"

"Why did you lie first?"

Warren just rolled his eyes.

"I lied so Jamal can forgive me. Duh," Tory told him.

Warren got in her face and hissed. "Listen Tory, what ever you're trying to do, you can stop because it's not gonna work."

Tory challenged him. "I'm not stopping anything. I know you like Jamal, and I'll be damned if I let him fall for you."

"Who's he gonna fall for? You?"

"That's exactly what I have in mind."

He laughed. "Are you crazy? He doesn't like women!"

Tory just smirked. "We'll see about that." Then she flipped her hair in his face and strutted inside of Jamal's condo building. Warren glared at her hard because he couldn't stand that woman at all. And she had another thing coming if she thought she was gonna get in between him and Jamal.

It looked like he had to get rid of Tory next.