thirteen.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
jamal's biggest supporter

Jamal

Jamal walked into his condo with his phone pressed to his ear. Hakeem was on the other end. "What do you mean Blake was in Ro's room?"

"That's what she thinks. Someone left her McDonald's nuggets in her room, and it damn sure wasn't any of us. Was it you?" Hakeem asked.

"Na. I haven't been there."

"See! It was Blake's crazy ass!"

That made no sense though. "He snuck in and no one saw him?"

Hakeem had a theory. "Unless they did see him. I'm starting to think one of the security guards is a snake. They let him in."

That was possible. "Well, are the cops getting involved?"

"No. We have no proof. We checked the cameras and there was nothing suspicious. And you know Pop doesn't like running to the cops. He likes to handle things on his own."

Jamal scoffed. "I know that's right. I just hope he doesn't let Ma go to jail for him again."

"Na. I probably won't forgive him this time."

Meanwhile, Mateo had been staring at Jamal, confused the entire time. Jamal ended the conversation. "I'll call you back, Hakeem."

He hung up and Mateo said, "Cops? Jail? What's going on now?"

"My sister's ex boyfriend is a crazy motherfucker. That's what."

"You mean that guy she humiliated with her performance?"

That was the one. "Yeah, him. I guess he's trying to retaliate. We're pretty sure he snuck into her room and left her McDonald's nuggets."

"That was kind."

Jamal tilted his head at him. "He's not kind, Mateo. That's why it's so creepy. He was literally trying to kill Tiana not too long ago."

Mateo shrugged. "Well, I'm not worried. I know your family will protect Royalty with their lives. Now, how's your day going?"

"Better now that I'm talking to you."

Mateo frowned. "We haven't been on good terms this week and I don't like it."

Jamal apologized. "I didn't mean to snap on you the other day. It's just, ever since Andre did what he did, I've been annoyed with everything."

"That's why I want you to make up with him. This anger that's building up inside of you is not healthy, Jamal."

"It's easy for you to say that because you're not in my shoes. He almost ruined both of our lives, Mateo. I can't forgive him for that," Jamal said.

"I believe you will one day."

"Well, that day ain't coming no time soon."

Then there was knocking on the door, and Mateo looked at him curiously. "Who's that?"

"Probably those damn bodyguards." Jamal opened the door, but it wasn't the bodyguards. It was his ex girlfriend.

"Tory?"

Tory

Jamal and Mateo exchanged a bewildered look. Tory laughed. "Well, damn. You don't need to sound so unenthusiastic."

"I wasn't expecting to see you again."

"I told you we're still friends, Jamal."

"But he didn't invite you," Mateo retorted from the bed. The hell was his problem?