thirty four.

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR
something is off

Lucious

Lucious and Freda had stayed at Empire for a couple of hours after Hakeem left. They chatted and laughed a bunch, and Lucious was really happy he had found Freda out on these streets because she had that Lyon flavor to her. She was almost like a second daughter to him.

He hoped Hakeem didn't get jealous because he'd always told Hakeem he was his favorite child. If he saw Lucious giving Freda a lot of attention, he didn't know how he'd react.

Lucious was home now. He didn't want to do anything but be with his woman. "Cookie!" He went into the living room and saw Cookie sitting on the couch with Hakeem sleeping on her lap. "Uh, why is Hakeem sleeping on your lap?"

Cookie stroked Hakeem's hair. "Because he's my baby. So keep your voice down before you wake him up. He needs sleep."

"Oh trust me, I don't think he's waking up anytime soon." Because Hakeem was snoring up a storm, drooling and everything.

Cookie looked down at her baby boy. "He gets it from you."

"I don't-"

Cookie gave him a pointed look. "You really wanna have this argument again?" Lucious shook his head and let it go. "Anyway, how was work?"

He sat down. "I signed a new Empire rapper. Her name is Freda Gatz."

"We're signing everyone lately."

"Freda is worth it. She's gonna be the next Hakeem, Cookie. Maybe even bigger than him."

"Don't tell Hakeem that. I don't want to hear his mouth," Cookie said. "Anyway, Jamal's being released tomorrow."

"So is Tiana. On my way here, guess what I saw?"

"What?"

"The fans crying on Twitter because two of their favorite artists are in the hospital: Jamal and Tiana," he answered.

"Yeah, I was crying too."

"They're also crying because they're saying Tiana and Jamal won't be able to make a song together anytime soon," Lucious added. "You know what we have to do, right?"

Cookie let out a huff. "What do we have to do, Lucious?"

"Tiana and Jamal need to get in the studio and make a song together."

Cookie gave him a crazy look. "Are you seriously talking about getting them back in the studio when they just got attacked?"

"It's what the fans want. When do we ever disappoint the fans?"

Cookie objected. "Jamal is not coming near Empire, Lucious. He needs bed rest."

"You really think that boy wants that?"

"He doesn't have a choice. He needs to heal."

Lucious snorted. "Yeah, okay. We both know that boy doesn't play by the rules. He'll be at Empire."

"We'll see, Lucious. Jamal isn't that reckless."

We'll see.

Tory

Tory walked into Jamal's hospital room and of course Warren was there. He hadn't left Jamal's side at all. "Your brother was here not too long ago."

Jamal said, "I'mma assume you're talking about Hakeem."

"Yeah. He was visiting his girl."

Jamal furrowed his eyebrows. "Tiana's here?"

"Yeah. I don't know what happened to her, but she had a head injury. She must be fine though, because I heard she's getting released tomorrow."

Warren spoke to Jamal. "And so are you. Are you ready?"

"Hell yeah I'm ready. Who likes being confined to a hospital bed?"

Tory replied to him. "No one. But are you sure you don't need to stay for a little longer?"

Warren caught an attitude. "Why do you want him to stay, Tory?"

"Because he almost died!"

"He's recovering pretty well. It's honestly a miracle," Warren said. "But Jamal, I am so sorry for leaving you that night. I should've made sure you got home safely."

"Yeah, you should have," Tory commented.

Warren scowled at her, which made Jamal say, "Be nice, Tory. It isn't his fault. I knew someone wanted to hurt me, and I decided to be a dumbass and sneak out without protection. It's my fault."

Warren shook his head and touched Jamal. "Don't ever call yourself a dumbass, Jamal. You deserve to have a normal life."

"I'm definitely not gonna have a normal life after this. My family's going to make sure I'm protected 24/7."

Tory was glad. "That's for the best. But um, the whole gang is here except Mateo. Where is he?"

"Who cares?" Warren spat before taking it back. "Sorry, that was rude."

Jamal agreed with him. "No, you're right. I definitely don't care."

"But he's your man," Tory pointed out.

"Is he? He sure doesn't act like it."

Tory tried to defend Mateo. "Look, I know you guys were on bad terms-"

"Yeah, we were on bad terms, Tory! We're always on bad terms, and I'm getting tired of dealing with it!"

"You wouldn't have been on bad terms if Warren wasn't around," she argued.

Warren was offended now. "So now I'm the problem?"

Yes he was. "I don't know if you noticed, but Mateo doesn't like you."

"Like I said, who cares?"

Jamal said, "I like you, Warren. That's all that matters."

Warren smiled hard. "I like you too." Then he touched Jamal's arm, and Tory looked at him suspiciously. Was he into Jamal or something? Because the way he was talking...

"So you're done with Mateo?" she asked Jamal.

"Yup. Blocked him and everything."

"Was that necessary?"

"He always blocks me when he's angry, so why not?"

Warren approved. "It's well deserved, Jamal. That guy clearly doesn't care about you."

Warren was so annoying. "How would you know, Warren? You barely know Mateo."

"I don't need to know a lot about him to know he's a piece of shit."

That made her laugh. "Wow. Now he's a piece of shit to you?"

"He's always hurting Jamal. Tell me that's not what a piece of shit does?"

"That's just what happens in relationships. It's not always sunshines and rainbows."

Jamal huffed. "Okay Tory, you're defending Mateo a little too hard and it's killing my vibe, so maybe you should go."

"I'm just saying-"

"He wants you to go, so please leave!" Warren hissed.

"That's really what you want, Jamal?" she asked angrily.

"It is. I'm not mad at you. I just need some peace and quiet right now."

She stood up. "Fine. I respect you, so I'll go. But I will be back, Warren."

Warren gave her the fakest smile ever. "You're welcome back anytime."

Tory rolled her eyes at him and left the room. Before she walked off, she looked back and saw Warren holding onto Jamal's arm for dear life. He was making Jamal laugh and everything, and it was disgusting her. Something was off with Warren. Tory couldn't put her finger on it right now, but she was going to figure it out.