Chapter 50

'Go and ask those people. They might know something.' Richard sounds bored and irritated as I scan the crowds of well dressed people standing outside, lining for clubs and restaurants on the high street. It's a stretch of neon signs and waiters dressed in crisp white shirts. If I wasn't so worried, I'd find a table at one of the restaurants, and eat some pasta. The smell wafts over, and my stomach rumbles. I think back. How long has it been since I've eaten, properly, an actual decent meal?

'It's been days, I'm so hungry.' Richard grumbles. "You're hungry? You don't exist, selfish bastard." I tut as I remove the seatbelt and step out of the car. The body is low, and I have to hoist myself up to get out onto the street. "How the fuck does Caius drive these cars?" I huff, thinking of his slim build, it must be easy for him. For someone pudgier like myself, it's difficult.

I stand on the cobbled street, a strip of restaurants which almost make me want to give up and have a good meal instead. I wander over to a street food vendor, selling pizza al taglio, squares of pizza baked and sold in individual pieces. I cross in front of the hut shaped vendor. If only I had my wallet, I could buy some. I pass it miserably, my stomach begins to growl. "God damn it, Caius." I trudge along the street, stopping in front of a club blasting techno music. It doesn't seem like the type of place Caius would frequent but I stare at it anyway.

"Scusi," I catch the attention of the bouncer, who turns and faces me. He stares at my clothes, and glares. I'm not exactly dressed to enter a club. "I'm looking for a man." His eyebrows narrow at my choice of phrasing, his mouth begins to curl into a smile. "Not like that." I snap. "He's tall, long blonde hair, very pale face. Nice suit." I pause as he thinks it over. "He arrived in a very expensive car." His face switches on, like a light has been activated. "Oh, si. There is a similar man. Follow." He gestures with his hand, and I stick to him as he pushes me through the throng of people, covered in sweat and clutching multi-coloured drinks.

"Through here." I squeeze through, close to the bouncer who directs me into the main building of the club, the dancefloor is packed, close to bursting, it takes me a few minutes to get to the other side, where there's a staircase, leading to a first floor. "Upstairs. More expensive people go." His English is broken but I understand enough; upstairs is fancier and that's where I'll find Caius. "Thank you." I give his arm a tap and circle around his bulky frame to get to the stairs.

I take them two at a time, leading to a more sophisticated bar, which you'd never expect looking at the dingy outside of the building. It's still pounding with techno music, although slightly muted, and there are private booth type seating areas, and there, across the room, opposite the bar, drinking something fancy and probably expensive, is Caius.

I stand at the other side of the room, at the top of the stairs, glaring at him. He doesn't notice, too caught up in his own thoughts to even look up from his drink. He stirs a short stick around the tall glass, and sips. I wonder briefly where he's parked his expensive car. On a night like this, in so many people I'd never leave it lying around. 'You'd best be careful, what if someone steals the car you brought?' Richard's voice is tinged with anxiety. I agree. It shouldn't stay outside too long. I grab the arm of a passing attendant. "Do you speak English?" He's a young boy, maybe seventeen, and nods vigorously.

"There's a car outside, a Lamborghini Veneno." I hope I said that right. He blinks at the car's name, he must know it's expensive which is a relief. "Take the keys, and park it in private area. Come back here, and tell me where it's parked, you'll get a tip." I hand him the keys, which he takes as though he's holding a baby. I've no idea how I'll tip him, but we'll figure that out later. For now, I'm dying of thirst. "Certo, signore, subito." The boy nods and disappears without another word, hurrying down the stairs.