Chapter 30

October, 2017, Present Time.

I am silent as Caius and I leave the safety of the castle walls and head into the streets of Volterra. Caius keeps his head down and I realise this is because the sun is out. He doesn't need anyone realising what he is, that'll add several more worrying things to our pile of problems.

However, he already seems to be attracting a lot of attention. The citizens are abandoning their conversations, turning away from market stalls to look at him. He steps through the crowds, keeping his eyes on the floor but I know he's aware of the hundreds of eyes on him.

As he approaches the mass of people, they part like the red sea to let him through, afraid that if he brushes against them, something bad will happen. I stop walking to observe, amused and intrigued by their response to him.

Do they know already what he is?

I catch up with Caius and hook my arm through his to keep close to him. He doesn't seem bothered by it, and keeps walking with me. "I thought they had the St. Marcus Day festival because it's about how vampires were banished from the city." I state, uncertainly and he tilts his head towards me subtly, but keeps his gaze on the floor.

"Yes, that is correct." He confirms. We exit the group of people and head onto a less populated street where he lifts his head, and the sun shines onto his skin. "They seemed to know what you are. If they're aware that vampires are still here, why celebrate the festival?" I question and he shrugs, looking at me for the first time.

"They suspect, they don't know for sure. And I'd like to keep it that way. So hush." He adds quickly, and I nod, lowering my voice just in case some are still within earshot.

"Were vampires really banished at all, or was it just another excuse to have a festival?" I joke and he almost smiles. "Well one loves a good festival, no matter what the reason behind it. But yes, I think at one point, this was a no vampire zone." He almost smiles again and I smirk at his answer.

"Are there werewolves here? Do they exist?" I ask, and he emits a low growl. I jump a little and break apart from him, removing my arm from his. I step backwards while he composes himself until he turns and offers a strained smile.

'Well done Alex. You've upset him. Fucking genius.' Richard claps mockingly and I sigh.
'Geniiiiiiiiius' Sandee agrees and I rejoin Caius and look him over. "I'm sorry. I take it you and werewolves are not the best of friends." I try to ligthen the mood and he sighs.

"That's putting it mildly." He states grimly and I hook my arm through his again, to which he allows. "You're letting me touch you." I realise, as we head into a shopping centre, full of people, but there's a roof of course, so Caius is protected from the sun.

Caius smirks and shrugs. "Your point is?" He counters and I sigh in frustration. "Last time I spoke to you, you were slagging off my mother, and making fun of me for being schizophrenic." I remind and he smiles. "Yes I was. Thank you for that trip down memory lane." He snarks, and I have the urge to remove my arm from his.

"You're not psychologically damaged after that encounter are you?" He challenges and I sigh, knowing who's going to win this battle. "No, I'm not, but-"
"So," He interupts. "There was no harm done, was there?" He concludes, dodging other people as they stroll past shops.

"Aro spoke to me about this morning." He announces and I groan. I knew he wouldn't have invited me on a walk just for meaningful shopping days out. I stop walking, retrieving my arm and folding them across my chest.

"What's our sex lives got to do with you?" I demand and he smirks. "He told me that didn't even happen. You withdrew before he could even undress." He sounds amused and I want to punch him. "That's none of your business!" I argue but he shrugs casually.

"I am his brother, he tells me everything." He smirks again, smugly and heads into a jewelry store. I follow him wearily, already wanting to go back home, but Caius is eagerly looking at the expensive watches.

I wander over to him, leaning across the glass display cabinets. "Off! Off!" A suited man comes rushing over, waving his arms frantically, obviously annoyed at me leaving prints on the glass.

"Oh I'm so sorry for ruining your display of fake rip off watches." I snark, heading away while Caius saves the day, apologising in Italian.

He rushes over and grabs my arm, pulling me to one side. "What is wrong with you?" He hisses and I blink, surprised. "These watches are original, real brands. This an expensive shop, and I have brought you here so you can buy Aro a gift to apologise for this morning." He explains and I shove his hand off my arm.

"Me? Apologise? I'm sorry, explain to me what I've done wrong, seeing as you're acting like our fucking marriage counsellor!" I go to storm out of the shop but he stops me.

"You will buy Aro a watch. He feels very upset about this morning and I assure you he will feel very grateful for this generous gift." He pushes me back into the shop and hands my wallet to me.

"What? Where did you get this?" I gasp, snatching it away from him. "This is my wallet, you think you can just come in my room and-"
"Oh stop your insistent whining! Go and find Aro a watch." He persists, angrily, and points to the glass cabinets.

"Those are the men's watches. Take your time." He wanders back to the salesman who is still huffing and puffing about my comments about the shitty watches. I look at them without really paying attention to them, they all look similar, but each one has a different signature printed across the metal clasp.

They're expensive brands I guess.

I pick one at random and pull out my credit card. I reluctantly ask for it to removed from the cabinet so I can take it home.

The salesman puts on a smile, pleased about having one sale today. 'I don't imagine this guy getting many customers with the prices in here.' Richard remarks, serious for once and I have to agree. The man scans the watch although I already know the three figure price that will come up on the screen.

"€465, per favore." He gestures to the card machine and I reluctantly slot the card in, sighing at the meagre amount that will be left in my bank account after this 'generous gift'. Aro better be smitten with this watch or I'll get a refund. There's no way I'm spending nearly five hundred euros for something he'll never wear.

The salesman looks up and smiles, the watch in his hand. "Would you like it gift wrapped?" He asks, casually and I hear Caius snort, with almost laughter. I spin round to face him. "Is that funny, Blonde boy?" I snark and Caius lifts his hands in surrender.

"It costs a little extra to have it wrapped." He informs and I sigh, turning back to the salesman. "Of course it does. How much extra?" I keep my card in my hand ready as the man works out the total.

"Another €15." He states calmly and I almost laugh in his face. "No. Fuck it, Aro can have it in a simple box. There's no way I'm paying another fifteen quid." I go to put my card away but Caius tuts disapprovingly.

"He'll be very offended." He warns and I groan. I know where this is going. I glare at him. "He'll be happy with a €465 watch. I'm not paying any more. The prices here are ridiculous." I snatch the box and the salesman frowns.

"How about a ribbon instead?" He encourages and I glance at the colourful selection on the shelves behind him. "Fine." I huff, pointing to the red ribbon which he retrieves and slaps down onto the lid of the box.

"There you are." He smiles casually and I take the box angrily. "Gratzie." I storm out of the shop, Caius trailing behind me, smirking smugly. I step out into the main area of the shopping centre, glancing at the shops. "Would you like to go to any other shops?" Caius offers with a smirk and I turn on him.

"You kidding me? I just spent nearly five hundred on a watch. We're going home. I can't believe I've spent so much money on that creepy dickhead." I stalk towards the exit doors, Caius keeping pace with me.

"Maybe he'll repay you with sex." He chuckles, and I almost swing for his face. "Fuck off, Caius. I don't want to have sex with Aro or any other man. End of story." We keep walking towards the streets and Caius snorts. "Please. You're no virgin."