Chapter 16

November, 2016, 9 months ago.

I hesitate at Carl's bedroom door, not wanting to enter in case he's alseep or trying to avoid me. Clearly, as a teenager, the avoiding theory is much more possible but I've still got the teeniest spark of hope left in my heart.

"Carl?" I knock the door instead of barging in. God knows what would happen if I just walked in. The door swings open and Carl's tufty brown hair is all over his head, not brushed properly. His eyes look sad but there's a layer of anger there.

The thing I really notice though, is that he looks absolutely exhausted. "Carl?" I try again, going to lay a hand on his shoulder, but he steps back, flinching as if I'd hit him. "What do you want?" His words are sharp, like he's extremely pissed.

Like, Jesus, Carl, I'm trying to offer you a full time home. I'm not some random dude offering PPI or some other false shit. "Carl." I sigh, breezing past him into his room which is painted blue with childish football stickers plastered unevenly along the walls.

He practically reads my mind. "The stickers weren't my choice. I share my room with Ryan, he's seven." He sighs, flopping onto his bed and closing his eyes. He looks like he could do with a few hours sleep. "Have you been up a lot?" I prod his shoulder lightly and he sighs. "Yeah..."

He rubs at his eyes and blinks, trying to keep them open for my sake. "The half term tests are coming up so I need to revise." He gestures to a towering pile of textbooks on a desk. "No biggie." He shrugs, attempting a half smile.

"It's good to see you're taking school so seriously. I'm proud of you." I beam and he pulls an 'ugh' face. "Please stop acting like my teacher. It's awkward now. Really awkward." He stresses and I give an apologetic shrug. "Sorry. I've just had the meeting with the social workers." I change topic quickly.

"The woman. She's an absolute cow." He snarks and I smile, nodding in agreement. "She seemed a bit...tough." I summarise but he gives me another look. "Tough? She's a fucking twat." He spits and I sit back a little, trying not to correct him on his foul language but I have to agree with his assessment.

I allow myself a small smile at his tone and he ends up smiling in response. The teacher in me decides to let this one slide just this once. "Language." I can't help but add and he gives me a cold glare which I laugh at.

"So...." He sits back against the bed frame and relaxes. "Tell me about your life." He smiles, ready for a long story. "Well." I take a deep breath and start.

"I was born in 1991 in Liverpool like you were, but the only good part of my childhood was Jodie." I look him in the eyes and Jodie's green eyes stare straight back at me. "You look like her, you know." I inform him and he blinks a few times as if it was an unexpected revelation.

"I've never seen a photo." He admits and it gives me a deep, melancholy feeling inside. The idea of Jodie being forgotten or unknown to Carl terrifies me and for a second, I feel on the verge of tears.

"Jodie was a bright, larger than life character." I try to summarise and he sits there and listens intently. "She...got along well with the guys at school." I clear my throat awkwardly. "The guys loved her. She was gorgeous so they followed her like a flock of sheep." I break off with a smile as I picture the macho boys who practically fell over each other trying to get Jodie's attention.

Carl offers an encouraging smile so I continue. "She wasn't the cleverest kid, but she was streetwise. If anyone tried messing with her, she'd bite back ten times harder." I smirk.

"I wish she was still here." I sigh, tears starting to brim. Carl bites his lip, not knowing what to do. He looks like he wants to say something. "Is it true? Did Mam kill her?"

"Yes, Carl. She did. And no one could have stopped her."