Chapter 34

"I look like an idiot." Aro grumbles as he stands in the hotel lobby beside me, his suit folded and packed away in the suitcase among my outfits for the week. During the flight, I managed to persuade Aro into letting me re-dress him in the tiny toilet cubicle.

Now more appropiately dressed in red shorts and a white cotton sleeveless shirt, he looks much more modern and overall human, apart from his creepy red eyes.

'At least his eyes match his shorts.' Richard laughs and I almost burst out laughing with him although I know Aro is feeling quite delicate because of his transformation and the last thing I need is him storming off like a stroppy teenager.

I stand beside Aro who is impaitently tapping his foot against the tiled floor. "I look ridiculous." He repeats for probably the hundredth time since we left the plane and arrived in Athens. I unintentionally smirk and he glares. "It is not funny, Alex!" He dumps the suitcase onto the floor like a toddler and folds his arms across his chest.

The other holiday makers dotted around notice Aro's little outburst and stare for a few seconds. Aro who realises they are staring, leans in closer to me. "My legs are showing." He hisses, glancing down and shuffling from leg to leg self consciously.

I pat his back soothingly. "You look fine, Aro. Human almost. Stop fidgeting." I slap his hands away from his shirt where he keeps playing with the buttons.
He sighs and reluctantly lets his hands dither at his sides.

"I feel uncomfortable. When are they letting us into our hotel room?" He complains, looking over at the reception desk, where people are slowly checking into their rooms. "Soon. You can't just swagger up to a desk and get first class service because you're rich. This isn't Renaissance Italy anymore." I sigh in relief as we get called up to the desk.

Aro says nothing as the woman blabbers to him in Greek, as she passes the keys to him. He doesn't respond as she smiles and gestures to the stairs to the rooms but I get the impression that he understands what she's saying to him.

"Come along." Aro brushes past me and practically runs up the stairs. As I reach the stairs I see he's already made it to the second floor, no doubt by using that high speed thing of his. I glance at the suitcase that he's left behind with me to carry and sigh.

"For fuck's sake, Aro. How am I supposed to pull this up the stair-"
Before I can finish, I see a flash of red and white clothing before there's a gust of air and the suitcase has disappeared. I smile in appreciation and start making it up the stairs, luggage free.

"Thank you, Aro." I mumble quietly under my breath.

          *********************

I stumble upon room number 213 and almost cry in relief. The heat has risen to the point where the damp patches under my arms have grown and I feel as though if I decided to have sex with Aro, he'd probably pass on the offer on account of how bad my odour is.

The temperature has reached 31 degrees and I know I'm going to have to be underdressed and wearing a vestop for lunch today. I enter the room to see Aro sprawled on the basic bedspread with the windows wide open. He probably has no idea how to use the air conditioning.

He probably has no idea that there is air conditioning. Or what it is.

I watch him for a second. Resting on his stomach propped up on his elbows, he flicks through one of the books I brought with me in the rucksack. Completely oblivious to my prescence, he undoes the tie that is holding his hair in place so the mass of dark locks falls around his shoulders.

He looks human, alive and....beautiful. No. No he doesn't. Aro is not my boyfriend. Well he is, sort of. 'If you don't have feelings for him, then why are you on a romantic holiday in Athens together?' Richard counters and I sigh at his annoying but truthful words.