Chapter 37

I wake up feeling a mixture of overly hot and stuffy along with a sense of cool, relaxed calm. I feel Aro's cold torso press against my hot back and smile to myself. The sense is soothing and for once, I don't feel annoyed or repulsed after receiving this affection from him.

One of Aro's strong arms are wrapped around my waist, absorbing me in a cold sense of bliss, as his icy temperature cools mine, and fights against this climate. I'm aware that my hand is in his, clutching it in my sleep, as we lay cocooned together on the large bed.

I wriggle slightly, to feel his smooth skin slide across my back and sigh in pleasure. Aro stirs and chuckles softly behind me, his other arm moving so he can begin to stroke my damp hair. I turn my face so it faces his just as his eyes open. Their red colour is as bright as the sun shining through the thin curtains and I find myself wincing slightly at the brightness.

He reaches for my face and gently runs his fingers across my forehead and down my cheek. "Good morning, Alex." He murmurs softly, having the distinct look of tiredness on his face but also a clear sense of focus as if he's been awake for a while.

I wrap an arm around his neck and bring his head onto my shoulder where we lay there quietly for a few minutes. I press my lips against his soft hair and whisper quietly to him. "I'm going to have a shower, you can come with me. If you want to." I offer and he widens his eyes in surprise.

"You still want my company? I was afraid that once your medication worn off, you'd be irritable and Aro-hating again." He smiles to himself and I sigh, jumping out of the bed, naked.
I notice him glance up and down my body, and now that the sheets have pulled away and revealed him, I admire him, too.

"How glad I am to see that it's not the case." He smiles again and leaves the bed to strip it of the sheets. "I think these will be needing a wash. Don't you think?" He teases almost smugly and I groan at his comments.

"I'm having a shower." I leave the room and head into the bathroom where I turn on the shower, relieved that I can finally get rid of that awful sweaty smell of mine.

           ********************

When I re-enter the bedroom, Aro is stretched out on the bed, wearing his trousers but no shirt, his exposed skin shining in response to the sun. He glimmers like a jewel as he sits there, reading another damn book on travelling and culture.

"Aro?" I approach him on the bed, and scoot over to him. "I'm reading a book about Egypt." He informs me, his madness back and in full swing along with his manic eyes and wide smile. "Would you like to go to Egypt next?"

I almost laugh, jumping up to get dressed while he remains excited and serious about Egypt. "I'd like to actually get home first, Aro." I admit, pulling on jeans and a vestop, as I hear him gasp behind me.

I spin round quickly, certain he's found something else in the book to get excited over but he stares excitedly at me. "Home? Did you just call Italy your home?" He sits up properly, reaching forwards so he's almost nose to nose with me.

I resist the urge to step backwards to gain more space and instead, force myself to stare at his mad eyes. I shrug and fold my arms. "Yes, Aro. Home. Italy is home now and it's the only place I have." I swat at him so he'll stand up and move off the bed.

"Now get dressed properly. We have markets to look at." I step into my flip flops and pull my flimsy bag over my shoulder. I grab the hotel room keys and wait for Aro to follow suit. He doesn't and instead slowly pulls on his shirt looking confused.

"Markets?" He questions, flicking through his Greece book. "It doesn't mention anything about markets in here." He murmurs to himelf as he scans the glossy pages. I sigh and pull open the door to get into the corridor. "I'm sure we'll find some. I want to buy some baklava." My mouth waters as I think of those syrupy, flaky parcels of pastry.

I need to buy several boxes if I want to be able to bring any home. Do doubt I'll have eaten half by the time we leave Greece. I waltz down the corridor and hop the stairs one by one until we reach the lobby where I rush through the double doors, out into the heat.

Aro catches up with me and slips his hand into mine, his fingers intertwining. I glance down at our locked hands and almost sigh, but Aro's excited and expectant face stops me. So I succumb and let him play the 'happy couple' act.

We search the streets together, glancing down alleyways, hoping to find just one minute market stall, when, eventually, we spot, well, Aro spots a town square. "There!" He smiles triumphantly, and starts almost jogging towards the several market stalls.
I sigh and start panting as I try to keep up with him, my bag slamming against my hip as I run. "For Christ's sake. Aro, slow down!" I manage to make it to the stalls, gasping for air and breathing deeply.

"Damn it, why am I so unhealthy?" I groan, arm around my waist to get rid of my stitch. Aro looks back and notices my pain, smiling wickedly. "Alex..." He tuts teasingly, joining me and gently rubbing my back. "You really must take up exercise." He chuckles while I curse under my breath, before taking a swig of my water from my bag.

"You're very unfit." He sighs softly and I snap my head back to glare at him. "Back off. I'll exercise when I'm ready." I snap and he lifts his hands in surrender. "Alright, my dear. As you wish." He steps backwards while I get my breath back. "Maybe I'll start a diet when I get back." I decide, straightening up and breathe deeply. "Right." I turn and head towards the several market stalls. "Let's go shopping."