Chapter 52

Upon arriving at the palazzo, scanning eagerly for Caius, I instead spot, Enoch, who stands, wringing his hands, his eyes darting back and forth across the dark streets. As Aro pulls into the garage and switches off the ignition, the sound cutting off smoothly, Enoch's face breaks into relief, and he rushes to Aro's door. "Mr. Aro, so glad to see you return safely." Aro's smile as he clasps Enoch's hand is courteous and he claps him on the back good naturedly. It is always strange to watch Enoch with vampires; he always looks ill at ease, in the same way that Marcus still makes me feel. 

'Yeah but that's because Marcus is a soulless monster. Richard chuckles darkly in my ear, as Enoch comes to my side, eager to help me get out of the car, but I beat him to it, closing the door with a quiet snap. I smile anyway at his intentions. "And Alex, I hope your evening venture wasn't too difficult." His eyebrows draw together. "No...accidents?" He looks over the Bugatti. "It looks in the same condition. I take it you are a careful driver. Mr. Caius was most displeased, you had taken his beloved car, but of course-" he smiles. "I did warn you."

Aro beams widely. "Alex is a most careful driver." He offers another large smile in Enoch's direction as he passes him the car keys. "Demetri, is handling the other vehicle, do not preoccupy yourself with such trivial matters." Enoch blushes, flustered. "Mr. Aro. It is none of my business, but Mr. Caius has returned. He mentioned that yourself and Alex found him, I believe he retreated to his chambers, with strict instructions not to be disturbed." 

Aro pauses at the door to the garage, one hand on my back, leading me out. "Is that so?" Enoch lowers his head. "Well, thank you Enoch. You may retire. Alex and I will speak with them, in hopes of calming him down." Enoch nods, and heads over to the car, placing the keys on a rack of the wall, with various other fobs, no doubt belonging to who knows how many other expensive cars. Jesus. You'd think with thousands of years of free time, he would commit himself to more honourable causes; cures for diseases, attempts at ending world hunger, rather than be wrapped up in himself. 

"He's not only wrapped up in himself." Richard laughs. "Remember, his legs were wrapped around your waist, two hours ago." 

"Asshole." I respond. Aro's arm wraps around my shoulders. "My darling, something weighs heavily on your mind. Do tell me." His soft hair brushes against my cheek as he pulls me in close, and we walk down the corridor in an awkward entanglement of arms, towards Caius's room. "Well, the plane crash, we have enemies coming after us, your weird brother Marcus gives me the heeby-jeebies, and in the last 48 hours, Caius has come out as gay/bi/unsure, almost had a threesome, with us, then ran off to a bar, and has subsequently run off yet again." I give him a hard stare. "So yeah, Aro, there's a lot on my mind." I scratch the scar that has formed on my leg from the shrapnel of the plane.

Aro smiles softly. "Caius is a complicated soul, the fires of his youth have still not gone out, and never will." He sighs. "I turned him too young. I had planned to wait, to watch his beauty blossom even further, but in the end, I had no choice but to turn him there and then." He coughs uncomfortably, and tugs at his tie. We stop outside our room. "As for Marcus, he is introverted, painfully shy, he mourns for the loss of his wife." He cups my face with his hands. "Please, love, do not misunderstand him. He means well." His manic smile returns. "Even if his eyes show no feeling." He turns swiftly on his heel, and stalks towards Caius' room. 

I rush to keep up with him, his long hair moves gracefully as he rushes. "That's what I'm saying, the guy has no emotion, nothing behind him eyes. Every time he speaks to me, he's like a battery-operated robot." I start to get out of breath. Jesus, I wish I was an athlete, I was never the sporty type at school, almost picked last for football, halfway through school I just gave up, started spending the sports lessons behind the bins, smoking. It was a bad habit, and I regret it.