Chapter 20

September, 2017, Present Time
Photo: Reference to Aro's manic smile above.

Aro sets down the steaming plate of food in front of me and my nose twitches from the smell. The steak is done perfectly and the mashed potato looks creamy. "Aro, this looks good. Thanks." I grab a fork and dig in before he can say anything else. He sits opposite me, his fingers wrapped around the stem of his wine glass, watching me with hooded eyes.

I can't tell what he's thinking. Most likely about the fact that he almost strangled me just now before the food was done. He takes a deep gulp of wine and runs his tongue across his upper lip, teasing me, and I look away. "Stop trying to be sexy, you're distracting me." I snark and shovel mash into my mouth, while he sips wine and watches me closely.

"I have to admit, I have never cooked for anyone before." He looks impressed with himself to the point of smug and I almost roll my eyes. 'Ooh, goody goody for you, Gordon Ramsey. Fantastic, you cooked a meal.' Richard grunts in my ear and I stifle a laugh, but try to act like I'm listening and paying attention to our conversation.

"Really?" I challenge and he nods. "Yes. I have been immortal for so long and I have never had anyone that needed looking after." He shrugs. "What about your guards?" I argue through a mouthful of asparagus, which is really tasty by the way. He looks surprised by my question. "The guards? They can look after themselves. They're not children, Alex. They're full grown adults." He adds as if to back up his statement.

"Yeah, and you're the 'full grown' psychopathic killer that houses and shelters them from the dangerous humans, eh?" I tease and his lips lift in an amused smile - a genuine one- not the usual manic grin he has spread across his face daily. I feel a warm glow at the satisfaction of making him smile properly.

His deep red eyes bore into mine across the table and suddenly, I forget about my food and concentrate on his face. His face that seems to be made of marble, white and perfectly toned. His angular jawline that looks so sharp, I imagine my finger will bleed if I touch it.

And his lips, they're perfectly soft, and full, although I've only ever let him kiss my cheek, disgusted whenever he tries to kiss me anywhere else. Why didn't I let him kiss me properly? I look up at him, and although his mouth is still and unsmiling, his eyes are seductive and his stare is compelling, and I can't look away. He smiles then, a full smile baring his perfect straight white teeth.

His insanity comes through within that smile, and his eyes light up excitedly. He wiggles his eyebrows as an attempt to make me smile and I start eating my way back through my food again, desperate not to react positively to his joking around. "You should smile more, my dear. It will make you seem more attractive." He muses and I glare.

"Are yer saying that I'm ugly? Cause if that's how yer feel, then yer can fuck off and find some other crazy orphan to shack up with you." I warn but he just keeps smiling, that manic grin spreading across his face.

"My darling, once the mating bond is established, you will never want to leave my arms, never mind the castle." He says confidently, smiling all the more. His smug attitude makes me want to punch him.

'Don't mess up his pretty face, Alex.' Richard mocks and I flinch at his tone. Pretty face. Yes. He is good looking. 'He's more than that. He's a greek god.' Richard continues, blathering on.

'Greeeek goooood.' Sandee agrees and I huff in exasperation at the two of them. "What is this? Aro Apprectiation Day?" I grunt under my breath but Aro hears me and smiles. "Whoever you are deep in conversation with, I like them very much." He admits before pointing to my plate. "Finish your food." He demands and I sigh.