Chapter 13

August, 2017, Present Time

Aro has me introduce myself for at least an hour to the several intimidating looking vampires that he calls the Volturi guard. I've heard of them of course. Volterra's asylum has boards of historical people over the walls closest to reception.

One of them displays the banishment of vampires from the city all those years ago. He leads me by the arm afterwards on the way back to his wing of the castle. He's made it very clear that if I leave without him at my side, he will punish me.

I've spent the rest of the day traipsing around following him as he shows me off and describes and explains the back story to every single painting that hangs on the walls. It's been boring to the point that I almost fell over from fatigue.

He opens the door to his room and gestures to me to take a seat opposite his desk. "I still don't understand why I can't wander around by myself." I protest, leaving the seat as soon as his back is turned to pore over his books.

"Do not touch the books bound with leather." He instructs as he starts to prepare his quill for a letter. "Why not?" I challenge, scoffing as I retrieve one of them regardless. I've barely opened it up before I'm pinned up against the bookshelf by him.

He's glaring into my eyes and giving me a stern look. "I said....don't touch the leather books." He repeats, his hand wrapping around my throat, lightly but it still holds a threat. "Aro....it's just a book." I shrug him off the best I can, slotting the book back in it's place.

I waltz back into the chair, keeping my eyes on him in case he makes any other sudden moves. Once he's seated behind his desk again, he starts up on writing his letter, his pen flowing smoothly, his handwriting sosphisticated and fancy looking.
"Who are yer writing to?" I lean over his desk to peek but his hand grabs mine and slams it down onto the desk. 'Uh oh, you've made him angry.'
'You piiiiiissed him ooooofff.' Sandee starts to sing insistently and I shudder a little. I can almost feel her breath in my ear.

"It's none of your concern. It's business." He stresses the word, giving me a look as if I'd know nothing about the vampire world. "Why don't you just kill me? Since I'm such an inconvenience." I lay my chin on my arms across the desk, careful not to tilt the ink pot.

"I have told you, you and I are mates." He repeats his words from earlier and my cheek stings at the memory. I touch it gently and it buzzes with pain. I wince. "So you can't kill me?" I check and he smiles deviously, the hunter once more.

"No. I won't kill you." He corrects and I feel a little uneasy knowing that he's capable of ending my life.

He reaches over and tilts my chin, his fingers tracing my throat. "As much as I would love to sink my teeth into your flesh, I won't. Unless you push me to the edge..." He breaks off, putting more pressure on my throat and I cringe a little from the small amount of dizziness that starts to take over.

"Aro..." I plead as black dots start to take over my vision. He lets out a small growl before releasing me. I grab at my throat to rub it better but he beats me to it, gently smoothing it with his fingers. "Forgive me. I forget how fragile humans are." He nestles me into the seat and I slap his hands away.

"Leave me alone, you psycho." I snarl and he just smiles as if it's a compliment. "Exactly! I think this is a perfect pairing. We are just as mentally unstable as each other." He looks away for a second, deep in thought. "Like Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett." He announces, with a bright look that I don't follow.

"You must have seen that film? It is a classic musical." He shakes his head at me in disappointment. I shrug at him. "I'm not really a musical person. I'm not a happy clappy guy." I shrug and Aro gives me a strange look. "Musical lovers are not 'happy clappy' as you say we are."

'Yeah right.' Richard sneers at him and I resist the urge to smile at his comment. Aro notices, and glances at my medication which he's put away in a sealed drawer.
"Les Mis. Sweeney Todd. Heathers. They're all depressing and sloppy." Carl materialises behind Aro and begins to inspect him from head to toe.

"Leave him alone." I whisper and Aro freezes, taking in my mini conversation. "Why?" Carl prompts and the others follow suit. 'Why?' Richard.
'Whhyyyyy???' Sandee.
'Why, Alex??' Richard.
Carl comes up to me until we're nose to nose. "Give me a good reason, Alex." He challenges and I walk away from him, defeated.

"Alex? Why don't you get ready for bed?" Aro suggests, pushing me towards the connecting bedroom. "It's only seven o'clock." I mumble in protest, though my yawn contradicts how I feel on the inside. "You're tired. You left the asylum. You had a hallucination. It is time you slept."

He throws pyjamas at me which are retrieved from the drawer. "Undress, put these on and when you're ready, tell me and I will settle you in for the night." He leaves before I can say anything.

I shed my itchy black shirt that Aro has given me and feel comforted by the familiar touch of my blue checkered pyjamas as I slip them on. I fasten the buttons and pad softly back through into the main room where Aro is seated at his desk.

I lean against the frame of the bedroom doorway, watching him, waiting for him to notice me. "I do hope you realise that it's time for bed." He informs, dipping his quill in the ink as he speaks. He doesn't look up at me.

"Aro?" I prompt. He looks up at me, smiling. Quick as a flash, he appears in front of me and sweeps the back of my knees, so I fall into his arms bridal style. "Aargh!" I protest and try to escape his hold but he ignores me and carries me to the large four poster bed.

He pulls back the covers with incredible balance before he lowers me into the bed. I get comfortable, hitching the covers up to my chin so I can snuggle into the soft fabric. He stands there, looking expectant. "Do I get a kiss goodnight?" He suggests, leaning down so he is in reach.

"Ew. No." I pull back as far as I can before he can land his lips on mine. I turn my face away into my pillow so I no longer can see him. He reaches closer to me and instead, lands his kiss on the cut on my cheek. "Goodnight, my love." He brushes my stray locks of hair out of my face and kisses my forehead too. "Sleep well."