Chapter 38

A/N: Hey everyone, so sorry for the immense wait you've had but I've been doing exams to finish college and it's been a bit hectic to say the least. I understand it's been about a year and I'm very annoyed and sorry. I hope you enjoy more frequent updates from now on.
VampireLover_xox

"Aro, hurry up we're going to be late!" I make a beeline for terminal 3 in the airport at Athens as the tannoy announces our plane back to Italy is boarding, preparing to leave in any minute. I grasp my muliple bags of presents and gifts in my shaking arms, which are trembling due to the weight of everything I've bought over the last few days courtesy of the bank of Aro.

Our shopping trip the morning after our sexual antics yielded most of what I'm bringing home with me, after wanting to buy almost everything the Greek markets had to offer. Aro trails behind me, lugging the suitcases calmly as he glances around the large airport, at the Costa stand which hold the machines that he finds so fascinating, spilling milk and coffee.

I spin my head around to glare at Aro who hasn't a care in the world. "Aro! Get your ass over here!" I manage to shove my passport into the hands of one of the staff who waits at the gate who frowns at me as she checks the photo which is hideous by the way, to ensure it is actually me who this passport belongs to.

She gives me a bored, fake smile as she hands it back to me and I rush through the tunnel to get to the plane. I hear Aro a few steps behind me striking up a conversation with the bored hostess and I groan at his inconvenient ability to make friends with almost anyone who will glance in his direction.

He thankfully cuts their little dialogue short and leaves the suitcases on the conveyor belt, before following me to the plane, where he smiles graciously and says hello to every person we pass as we make our way to our designated seats.

I collapse into the chair with a relieved sigh, with my few bags of Greek products, and rifle through them happily. Aro sighs softly and digs out another travel-book that he bought after insisting he simply had to have it when he spotted it in what I can only describe as a Greek WHSmith.

I groan as he starts flicking through the pages utterly engrossed as he did so with his book on Greece. He begins with his excited gasps of curiosity as he spots landmarks in the book and reads up on them in an eager fashion.

I set my bag of jewelry, clothes and handmade soaps on the floor between my feet and lean over to Aro where I rest my head on his shoulder in a sudden burst of affection for him, bursts I've been having regularly since our night of passion a few days ago.

"What country is this book on? France, Cyprus?" I question, listing cultural sites that I know he'd want to visit considering how I know for a fact he speaks French, among other languages. Three thousand years on this earth would give him a ridiculous amount of time to learn foreign languages.

Aro turns to me with his manic smile and flicks the front cover to point at the title. "Egypt, hm? Another country full of ancient artefacts and buildings." He presses his lips against my cheek and chuckles softly. "I thought we could visit the pyramids of Giza. Maybe go inside Cleopatra's tomb?" He suggests and I smile at his naivety. "Aro, I don't think they let anyone inside the tombs that contain famous Pharaohs. You know, in case of grave robbery." I explain carefully and he groans sadly.

"Oh." He places the book face down in his lap and crosses his arms across his chest, sulking like a little boy until I give in and smile encouragingly. "Okay, well we can still go to Egypt, but we won't be able to go into Cleopatra's tomb. How about that?" His manic smile switches back on his face in an instant and his eyes glow with an intense excitement.

"Okay then. Problem solved." I lean back into my seat and make sure my seatbelt is fastened as the plane prepares to take off. I close my eyes out of anxiety as the plane begins his fast journey down the runway. I hear the wheels retract as the aircraft gathers speed and takes off into the clear sky, where I unintentionally grasp Aro's hand, and for the first time in a week, I hear Richard's voice inside my head.

'Aww, are you afraid, Alex?' He chuckles viciously as the plane remains securely in the air, but plane journeys on the way home always make me anxious.
'Afraiiiiiiiddd.' Sandee pipes up with her girly giggle and I shake my head persistently.

"Be quiet." I hiss to them both, not now, they can't come out now in front of all these people. I murmur softly to myself, wrapping my arms around my body, until one of the stewards approaches our row of seats. "Anything to eat or drink, sir?" My eyes open instantly at his voice and I'm catapulted out of my fright and irriation.

I stare at this man with his calm expression and neat, blond hair and would have snapped at him to 'fuck off' but Aro answers for me. "Not for us, thank you, kind sir. We are just fine." Aro offers his charming, calm smile, so different and sane compared to his real, eccentric one, and the man nods and leaves almost immediately after.

Aro waits until the man passes before shutting off his intelligent, calm gentleman act and turns back into insane, withered vampire where his hand grips mine in response to my murmurs of anxiety. "Are they speaking to you, again, my darling? Relax. We'll be landing in a few hours." He gently traces his fingers along my bare arm to try to calm my nerves.

I manage to calm myself along with Aro's soft and soothing gestures and for the next few minutes, I remain still and quiet as the plane continues its flight.
The blond haired steward returns to our side again with his offering of food and drink, and Aro begins to calmly tell him no, but before he can speak, a loud cry comes from the cockpit.

"Jesus, what's that?" I crane my neck in my seat and try to see above the other heads, but to no avail. Everyone begins to investigate, people shouting and yelling and I turn to Aro to ask him if he can hear anything more than I can.

His eyes turn to a deep red, brighter, more intense and he takes a sniff of the air around him. He grabs my hand, his eyes wild. "Vampires." He hisses, and launches me back in my seat, as he bounds into the aisle.

"Aro, get back here!" I try to follow, but the overflowing of other people who have crammed into the aisle to have a look prevent me from doing so. "Damn it." I flop back into my seat with a sigh.

Vampires, he had said. Damn, bloody, menacing vampires, most likely hear to kill Aro and/or me. Just want a man wants as he's on his way home from a relaxing holiday in Greece. Just fabulous.

I hear another scream and the flow of passengers begin to whimper and cluth one another in fear. We're under attack, that's obvious, something's tearing up a storm in the cockpit.

And Aro is down there.

My heart jolts unexpectedly at the thought of him being caught up in it, the possibility of him being killed, and a sudden burst of anger and irritableness launches me back into the aisle where I shove past the other passengers, into the area where the cockpit is.

I see Aro ahead of me, the two pilots dead, their throats slashed open, and I recoil in shock, although Aro could not have done this. I spot another vampire, his hair a shock of white blond, pounce on Aro who yells and throws the man onto the circuit board.

He lands a punch or two before Aro is stunned as the man retaliates with a harsh blow to the windpipe, which is he was human, could have knocked him out. I watch, legs frozen as they battle one another, this man who has been sent to assassinate Aro, until the inevitable happens and Aro's hand slips, and strikes a switch on the board.

Red alarms begin to screech throughout the plane, as it surges forward at a sudden rate of speed and I'm launched forward, landing on the floor between the two of them. "Alex?" Aro looks startled to see me, while the other continues his onslaught of punches.

I hear the rest of the passengers shouting and coming to investigate, and wishing I had the power to tell them to get into their seats, the air is knocked from my body. I register another screech which tells me the plane is heading for ground suddenly and at too much speed and I utter a quick prayer, although I'm not religious, throw the poor pilot from his seat, and buckle myself into it as we reach land.

And the plane goes down.