Chapter 22

September, 2017, Present Time.

My eyes are tired and stuck together with sleep and my limbs are achy. I groan and try sitting up, but my shoulder cries out and I know it's gone stiff because of the position I'm in. My body feels cold because of the leather fabric I'm laid on. I rub at my eyes and look around.

I'm still in Aro's room, but it's much darker than before. 'It's called night time, idiot.' Richard snarls and I mentally flip him off. 'Idiiiiott.' Sandee giggles and I almost yell at her but I'm too tired for that shit.

I've fallen asleep on the sofa I was sitting on. And where's that book I was reading? I look over the edge of the sofa and there it is, still open miraculously even after it's fallen out of my hand.

I pick it back up and study the cover. Little Women, is written across the front. I've heard of it, a long time ago with my grandmother. She loved old classics. She and I would sit in front of the fire, reading together. But that was before she and Mam had that huge argument at Christmas.

By the time she had dragged her lazy ass to the phone, Gran was dead.

'Stop being sentimental and keep reading the damn thing.' Richard sighs and I flip back to the page I was on. The words are little blurs on the page and I grunt in frustration. "Where the fuck are the lights?" I stumble around, searching for a plug socket.

Aro didn't have the lights on last night either. What did he use then? I go over to his desk and grab a hold of one of the small drawers, tugging it. It's locked, of course.

What's he think I'm gonna do? Steal one of his fancy feathered pens? Or his pencil sharpener? I'm not a little five year old. "For fuck's sake." I try the other one which is also locked. I kick out at it then, frustrated and stuck in the dark.

Unless....

I look at the door. I could always make myself a late night snack to pass the time. I stumble over to the door, feeling my way in the dark until my hand reaches a door handle. It's one of those smooth, round wooden ones and I almost shout in excitement.

I pull the door open and come to face to face with an angry looking, Aro. "Fuck!" I jump back from the surprise and he merely blinks. "And where do you think you're going?" He demands, his voice cold and quiet.

He steps into the room and I automatically step backwards to keep out of his way. Out of his line of sight. "I wanted to read, but there are no lights. So I thought I'd get something to eat." I shrug, trying to stay calm.

"Hmm." He replies, and if there was any sign of love and excitement for me earlier, it's now vanished because of this meeting he went to.

Speaking of the meeting...."And what time do you call this?" I outburst. He looks up at me and blinks with surprise. "Excuse me?" His voice contains an element of anger mixed with mild amusement.

"You said you'd be back later and I woke up in all bloody darkness! What time is it? You've been gone hours!" I exclaim and he takes a seat at his desk. "Did you miss me? Is that it?" He sounds hopeful but I quickly push that idea out of his head.

"No. I just wish you'd told me where the lights were. I've been stumbling about like a drunk!" I add and he ignores me, opening the drawers of his desk with a key, that comes from the inside pocket of his suit jacket.

"If I had one of those, I'd be able to find some source of light and keep reading but no, you had to make things difficult for me." I continue, stretching it out as long as I can.

"Well if I had the trust to give everyone a key so they could come and go as they please, then the world would be a much safer place." He snarks. "But unfortunately, I cannot do that. So you will have to accept it." He concludes, pulling out some candles.