Chapter 40

Caius. 

My God. I utter a disappointed groan; place crash, Aro missing, vicious leg wound, still bleeding by the way, and who shows up? Caius. Sadistic, cruel, uncaring Caius. My luck is in, it seems. 

Sarcasm, there. 

'You'd think he'd be happier to see you.' Richard whispers unsurely in my ear, and I'm inclined to agree, given the look on Caius' face. That said, he was hopefully expecting Aro. He grimaces, sweeps back gorgeous blond locks of hair, pristine, of course, skin polished like porcelain and raises his eyebrows. I almost burn with embarrassment if I hadn't already been burning from the fucking Greek heat. If we're even still in Greece. I'm sweating more than I care to admit, my shirt is ripped from the crash, I've still got a fragment of metal stuck in my thigh and my shoes are beginning to melt from the temperature of the sand. 

Caius, to make things even better, smiles, though it isn't a happy smile. He positively snarls with those teeth of his. Crystal white, not surprising at all, he seems like the type of person who'd look stunning during a rainstorm, hurricane, prance calmly through a bomb raid during WWII, brush his hair as Pompeii erupted. 

He's the type of person who doesn't even try and in all seasons, could appear on the cover of Vogue, model for Versace...

'We understand, you fucking idiot.' Richard interrupts irritably. 'Say something to him or he'll think you're even crazier than you are.'

'Crazzzzzzy.' Sandee giggles in agreement. I wish they'd shut up, especially in a crisis such as this. God alone knows how I'll survive without my meds. Caius steps forward and retrieves from the inside of his waistcoat, a bottle of water, still glistening as though it'd just been pulled from a fridge. I salivate. He hands it without a word and sighs impatiently as I unscrew the lid and chug it down. Sweet relief. It runs down my throat, like I imagine an ice cold beer would in summer bars in the US, but it isn't something I've had experience with. 

Alcohol and anti-psychotic meds are a no-no really. 

I swallow it down in starving gulps, feeling more refreshed immediately, while Caius, hands on hips snaps at me. "How did you crash, where is Aro, why are you bleeding, where are the rest of your clothes?" Jesus Christ. He's in a spectacular mood. I wipe my mouth with the back of my hand and screw the bottle, grasping it like a toddler would with a teddy. "Hold your fucking horses, cowboy. I've just been a plane crash and you want to play 20 questions?" It's sarcasm, but Caius' hand flies towards my face. I hear Sandee inwardly squeal and I step backwards, trip over clumsy shoes and land on my back in the sand. My leg decides to twinge with pain and my hand clamps over the wound in my thigh. 

I flinch as Caius stands over me, plants a leg either side of mine and leans, placing his hands firmly on my chest. "I've no time for sarcasm, boy." I wince at that. Dad comes back to me in my mind, wagging a finger, shouting, screwing up his fucking face. And then Mam, 'listen to me, boy, do as you're told, boy or I'll hit you so hard, you won't be able to walk.' 

I feel my head begin to swirl like melted ice cream as I hear her voice perfectly clearly, and then Jodie's sparkling, make-upped face. 'Be a good boy, when I'm out, Alex.' 

It's far too much. 

"Fuck off!" I throw myself onto my feet and press my hands firmly against his stone chest. "How many times do I have to tell you not to call me that?" My voice rises an octave, I hear Richard chuckle in amusement. Caius doesn't move on my account, instead he stands by himself and brushes his hands against his suit although I'd rubbed my hands in luminous coloured paint before touching him. I almost fall again from the impact of being throw to the floor from my own motion, but I manage to remain upright. 

Caius growls. I know our relationship isn't the best but honestly, how hard is it to not call someone something because it disturbs them? Pretty hard, clearly. I feel a twinge of anger followed by feeling close to tears, like a child. 

Caius crosses to me, Sandee squeals again, I flinch. His hand grips my shoulder, and he glares. Closing his eyes a moment, he inhales deeply for composure, before reopening his eyes and baring his teeth at me, menacing, irritable. 

'Well you've gone and pissed him off now, haven't you? Idiot.' Richard sighs, though his voice still holds a tremble of fear, Sandee stays silent, apart from her occasional whimpers. Caius clamps his other hand onto my other should and holds me still, at arms length. 'Listen to me.' He pauses, I prepare myself for the 'boy' to leave his lips and grimace, but it doesn't come to my immense relief. 

'Tell me what happened.' His eyes narrow. 'Now.' 

I quickly relay everything I remember, from boarding at the airport to the disruption on board, strapping myself into the pilot's seat and crashing, finding some of those who died in the crash and waking up to find the wound in my thigh. If he hadn't spotted the wound before, he does then; the smell of the blood as he gets closer to me allows him to find it immediately. He rests one hand on my shoulder to steady me before reaching with outstretched hand towards the metal in my thigh. 

'Oh God, no.' Richard sounds like he'll be sick. The bastard's lucky he can't actually feel it. I brace myself, as Caius offers me a quick glance between gripping the tip of the better shard, and twisting. "Shit!" Burning hot pain, as though it'd been heating within my flesh rips through the wound as I feel it dislodge and fly from my leg, with a reluctant scream on my part.                       "There." Caius brandishes the small piece that had remained buried in me and holds it to the light with an almost happy glance. 

It shimmers red, coated in my blood. I kneel over, as though to be sick and take deep breaths, the pain still resides in my mind, and I'm keen not to look at the wound now it's been dealt with. I straighten up, trying to keep my breathing steady. "Okay." I stretch my arms above my head, God knows I need my muscles sorted after what that plane has done to my back. Who knows what other injuries I might have?

"I've no idea where Aro is, but we need to start looking. But first, how did you know to come here? How'd you know we were in danger?" I turn to Caius for answers, just as he pulls the shard of metal to his full lips and licks my blood off the fragment. "Oh my fucking god." My stomach jolts, I'm repulsed and go to turn in the other direction but not before I see his eyes close and he shudders with pleasure as he tastes my blood. 

I go to shove him again but remember what happened last time. 

Caius bites his lip. "Oddly, that tasted better than I'd expect." Ugh. I almost slap him, the confident dickhead but refrain. He looks almost amused, though his hooded eyes are as usual, mischievous and unfriendly. "Glad you enjoyed yourself." I go to stalk in the other direction, away from his lips which are lightly coated in my blood, not to mention the fact that I'm disoriented and needing to find Aro but Caius hurries over and stops me with an arm made of marble. 

"As for your question, Aro and I are brothers previously mentioned. If he is in danger, I will know." He stalks off in the direction he'd come from, hoping to pick up more this time. I follow reluctantly. His legs are slim and long, and he walks quickly in large strides ahead of me, not pausing to check if I'm keeping pace behind him. I stumble over the sand, coughing at the dust in the air and the heat and occasionally take swigs at my water bottle to keep my throat lubricated to stop me from gasping for air. 

"As for finding where you were," He continues so suddenly, I almost jump and lose my balance. "I used the skills of Demetri, an excellent tracker. He pinned you down almost immediately." He stalks ahead and I rush to join him at his side though its a struggle and I begin to pant, my fitness level is letting me down big time. I'll need to start following whatever workout program Caius has going on, though a miserable part of me realizes its either genetics or his immortality that keeps him in shape. Not to mention his body feels as though its made of marble, with abs I imagine so clear cut they probably cut his finger if he touches them. 

I press my fist against my flab of a stomach and sigh. Caius's head turns to me, and shouts over his shoulder, yanking me from my daydream. "Hurry up, we need to find Aro." He sniffs the air like a tracker dog. "He's close." My heart lifts at the prospect of seeing Aro again and I find myself lifting my feet, rushing along, sticking as close to his side as my fitness with let me. Aro is close, he says. We'll find him, maybe soon, maybe within another minute or so. 

God let us find him alive. Let him be okay.