Chapter 23

December 2016, 8 months ago.

The cell is a foul smelling, tiny damp square of a room, with thick rust coating the bars. There's a bed though the sheets are yellow with age and I'm guessing they haven't been washed in a while.

My head hurts and I have no idea what time it is. I've been in here for hours, they didn't even take my name. They knew who I was. How did they know that?

'Olive.' Richard says grimly. 'She must have picked up on your foul mood. It's just like her to turn you into the police.' He grunts and I sigh.

"Fuck her, the cruel cow. Why would she do that?" I question though I know why: Precious Carl's safety was always more important. Her trophy child, her favourite son.

I ache everywhere and I want somewhere clean to lie down. It's a Sunday and I know I have work tomorrow morning. "Hello? I have to leave, I have daily medication to take and I have a full time job!" I call down the hallway though the other cells are empty so perhaps they don't get visitors often.

"Hello?" I try again and a guard comes over. "Yes, Mr. Danvers?" He addresses and I stand up to face him. "I'd like something to eat. And I have to leave. I have a busy life you know." I add quickly and he smiles. "I'm sure you do. We can get you some food, but they're ready for you in questioning." He announces and I gulp.

He unlocks the cell and I think about making a run for it. It's barely a ten second sprint to the main door. I could hit him and run. I could get out. He notices and frowns. "Don't try anything stupid. Let's go."

            ****************

The two officers that sit opposite me look anything but friendly and seem to be having hard time accepting I'm in their prescence. They sit with their arms folded across the table, studying me silently. Hard stares etched into their faces.

"Mr. Danvers." One of them finally pipes up. "Why did you attempt to kill your brother?" He asks casually.

"How do you know I'm his brother?" I question and he presses his lips together, not wanting to answer my question. "Your mother, Olive-"
"She's not my mother." I hiss though he ignores it and continues.

"She called us immediately after you left saying she was suspicious that you might try to hurt Carl." He explains and I tut. "She would, the bitch. It's all about Carl fucking Edwards." I spit and they blink.

"Is there a reason behind your hostility for him?" The other one asks and I raise my eyebrows as if he's dumb. "She treats him differently, like he's more important than me. Than my sister." I add for Jodie's sake since everyone has seemed to forgotten about her.

"You do realise she killed her, right?" I announce and they exchange a glance at each other. "I don't think that's relevant to-"
"It is relevant." I interupt angrily, slamming my hands onto the table. They blink. "My sister was relevant. How fucking dare you say tha-"

"Clearly, we have offended you." The smaller one chips in before I can keep ranting and my mouth snaps shut abruptly. I sit back in my seat and fold my arms across my chest. "Now," The taller guy announces, flipping open a notepad.

"Let's get down to it." He gives the other guy a look which hands the power over to him. He clears his throat and sits up a little straighter. About time too.

"Mr. Danvers, what speed were you going on Stafford road?" He enquires, pen poised. I shrug, my mind still foggy and surprised from Richard coming out of nowhere after all these years.

"Way over the speed limit. Maybe a 100 MPH." I estimate and he raises his eyebrows but doesn't comment. "Were you aware of this?" He asks, the dopey fuck, and I almost roll my eyes at how dumb it sounds.

"Was I aware? I'm not on crack cocaine and I wasn't drinking; of course I knew what I was doing." I scoff and he blushes a little red and the older taller guy gives me a warning look. I almost stick out my tongue but I know how petty and childish that will look.

"You were driving at over 100 MPH on an empty road." He states, jotting it down as he goes. "With no other cars around, how did you crash?" He questions with a frown and I shrug childishly. "How did you know I crashed?" I challenge and the older guy chips in sternly.

"Cut the crap, Mr. Danvers. We saw your vehicle. The windscreen was smashed to pieces. Did Carl go through that windscreen?" He cuts to the chase and I sigh, deflated. "Yes." I mumble quietly and he nods, gesturing for the younger guy to write it down.

"I was driving fast and Carl told me to stop so I did and...it just sort of threw him forwards, out of the car." I summarise and he sighs disappointedly at me. "Why wasn't he wearing a seatbelt?" He narrows his eyebrows and I shrug, holding up my hands.

"What am I, his mam? He's sixteen, he should know that he has to wear a seatbelt." I justify innocently and the young guy sighs. "You should be helping people to stay safe at all times, Mr. Danvers. You're a teacher. You should know that it's your job to educate and inform." He preaches and I roll my eyes from boredom.

"If you keep me here any longer, I won't have the bloody job; they'll kick me out for being late. I have to get back." I insist and grumpy older guy chuckles. "Oh no, son, you ain't going nowhere for a couple of days. Not until we can find yer a lawyer." He adds firmly and my eyes widen.

"What do I need a lawyer for?" I scoff and he laughs at my naievety. "Let's see; attempted murder of your brother. If he dies from his injuries, it'll be a first degree murder charge added, and driving above the speed limit." He folds his arms again with, looking at me with confidence.

"Oh. That." I grunt and he shakes his head at me. "You've really no idea how bad this is for you, do you? You're looking at about forty years in prison." He looks almost ready for the occassion. "Have some respect for the prisoners who've done nothing wrong." I joke and I hear Richard chuckle a little in my ear.

I appreciate that and feel a little happy that I've some company if I happen to get locked up. The younger guy goes to say something else but the door to our interrogation room swings open and an officer rushes in, panting.

"DC Jones, what is it?" The older guy snaps impaitently. DC Jones brushes her hair away from her face, taking deep breaths to steady herself. "We've just had a call from the hospital." She announces, glancing at me.
"The boy, Carl. He's just been pronounced dead."