Chapter 9

August, 2017, Present Time

"Here we are!" Aro beams with enthusiasm, gesturing to the palace that stands before me. "This is where you will be living from now on. Come along, my Prince." He holds out his hand affectionately so I dump my luggage into it.

"Thank you for your generosity." I make sure he's holding the suitcase tightly before stalking towards the huge entrance doors.
Aro sighs at my reaction. "I wanted to hold your hand." He says softly, pushing open the doors to reveal a vast corridor with a high ceiling covered with angelic paintings of gods and godesses. "Wow." I let out a whistle. "Beautiful."

"Yes it is." He agrees. "Michaelango. A brilliant artist." He adds softly, smiling in approval at my interest in the paintings. "I will find someone to put your things away before we meet my brothers." He gestures to a woman with short hair who takes the over heavy case and disappears down another corridor.

"I must warn you." He links his arm through mine as we walk towards another set of large wooden doors. "My brother Caius doesn't have the greatest respect for humans but Marcus is a lot more accepting." He summarises carefully.

"Caius can be very cruel and harsh towards humans but I assure you, I will not let him treat you like you are a nobody. You are my mate and I am going to make sure no one disrespects you." He promises, opening the door and leading me in, keeping his arm linked with mine.

As we walk in, several people are staring. Some wearing normal clothes and others wearing suits and sharp looking dresses. Two of the men standing around are dressed more regally. They look like royalty with black well tailored suits and billowing cloaks that drape to their ankles.
They have long hair, one dark like Aro, another one who is blonde and much younger looking.

"Why are they staring?" I hiss to Aro who is still smiling confidently although he feels nervous and worried. "They do not know about my feelings of affection towards men." He explains quickly.

"I've always tried to escape arranged marriages with women but I don't know if they have figured out my secret yet." He adds. "Well they definately know now." I shrug, gesturing towards his brother's faces. Are they even his blood brothers? They look nothing like him.

Aro leads me towards them. "Marcus, this is Alex. He will be living with us from now on." He says with an air of importance. "Is there a reason he is staying here?" He asks curiously. He has a soft, measured voice. He seems calm and thoughtful though I'm a little bit creeped out by his red eyes.

Aro glances at me for approval and I nod. "Alex is going to be my mate." Shocked gasps and outbursts come from the several people around us but Marcus only raises his eyebrows to show his surprise. People begin gossiping in hushed whispers at the idea that their leader is gay.

At least he seems to be their leader but I'm not sure what of. Marcus seems to be keeping his thoughts and opinions to himself but Blondie, who I'm guessing is Caius, starts spitting insults.

"Brother, this is an outrage! A man is not to be mated to another man. Every one of us has heard the rules of the coven. It is forbidden!" He looks annoyed and irritated at Aro and even more disgusted at me.

I flush red with anger. 'Hah, he hates you, Alex. I kind of agree with him. Freak.' Richard starts to hiss at me from the back of my head. 'Freeeeak.'
'Maybe he is a freak but maybe he isn't.'
'FREAK! FREAK! FREAK!' They all begin to overpower each other, repeating Blondie's vile words.

Aro notices me trying not to react and leads me to a chair. "Take a seat, my love." He kays a gentle hand on my shoulder to steady me. "Take no notice of the voices." He says quietly but Blondie hears, letting out a cruel laugh.

"So not only are you deciding to choose a man for your mate, he's also a lunatic. You should send him back to whatever madhouse he came from." He sneers but Marcus gives me a warning look as he is noticing my flaring temperature. "That's enough!" I shout, rising from my seat, turning red with rage.

"I'm no lunatic! I'm an ordinary man who suffers with mental illness. It happens! Get over it. I'm not some lowlife. I was a maths teacher! I have a good status. Don't you dare disrespect me!" I spit at him with all the hostility I can muster. Blondie looks ready to pounce but Aro steps in, smiling.

"Spoken like a true Volturi man. He is the mate I choose. He is an intelligent, strong man."
"Yes, a man, Aro. A man. You know that same sex relationships are forbidden." Blondie tries again but Aro holds up a hand, confidently to silence him.

"If the rules were written by men, then they can be unwritten. I have never been truthful to myself. I have to follow my full feelings, I am attracted to men, not women."

He turns to me to take my hands in his, seating me at the table once again. "I will show you all the love and respect you deserve, Alex. I will also help you find out why you lost everything you achieved and together, we will get it back." He cups my cheek gently and I give him a small smile.

"Marcus?" He turns to him. "What do think about my joining with Alex?" He asks curiously, smiling confidently. "Well....." Marcus stops before he can say anything else, wary of Aro's narrowing eyes and expression.

"If I feel the bond between you grow, I will learn to accept your relationship." He decides and I glance at Aro in confusion. Aro smiles before turning to explain to me. "Marcus has a gift to be able to sense the bonds between people. He can feel the strength of bonds between mates." He adds, giving a nod towards Marcus.

"Well that's settled then." Aro rises to face the groups of people scattered around the table. "I am a homosexual. I have chosen Alex and that decision is final. If anyone has a problem with that....." He stops to look them hard in the face. Most of them look away in fear.

"Then come and see me." He challenges, asserting his authority. He turns to face me and hooks his arm through mine once again. "Come along, my Prince. Let me show you to your room."