Chapter 21

December, 2016, 8 months ago.

To my surprise, Carl actually joins me outside in the pouring rain to go home. He rushes over to me, pulling up his hood to block out the rain. "What the fuck was that?" He yells above the noise and I roll my eyes at him.

"Do you not realise how..serious this is? She favours you over me. It's as if Jodie and I never existed! It's all about you, precious fucking Carl!" I scream and he hits out at the car, punching it, hard enough to cause a dent and I throw myself into him.

He staggers backwards with a gasp and thinks over the fact that I just tried to hurt him. "Fuck you, Alex." He grunts and rushes into the car, sopping wet. I follow and throw myself into the driver's seat.

"You need to get over your jealousy. I'm a kid. I'm allowed to have a decent relationship with our ma." He preaches and I shove my keys into the slot, firing up the engine. "Well you're the only one out of us three that's accomplished that." I glare at him. "You've no fucking idea what kind of a woman she was back then. She was a fat, lazy, slag." I spit and he rolls his eyes.

"Please. People can change, Alex. She's become a better person." The car starts thundering down the path, past the gates coiled with barbed wire. 

The rain pelts down onto the car in heavy sheets and the windscreen wipers are going crazy. "She's a better person is she? Two minutes ago she was telling me to leave her alone." I snark. "She told me not to come back. What kind of mother disowns her own child?" I challenge, putting my foot down onto the pedal.

"Alex..." Carl is gripping onto his seat with both hands. "You're going too fast. This road has a speed limit." He warns, panic evident in his face.

I smirk, revelling in his fear. "Scared are you? It's a shame Mam can't come to make you feel better. You're on your own." I grunt, swerving around a corner, past the sign which reads Sunnybank to the left. That's the way to take Carl home.

Instead, I swerve around the corner heading down an unfamiliar road, away from the sign. "Alex!" Carl yells. "The Home is that way! You've gone the wrong way!" He struggles to shout above the noise of the engine but I hear him, and ignore him.

"Alex! Stop this fucking car!" He screams and I press my foot a little harder, passing the 50 Mph speed sign, knowing full well I'm going over 100 Mph.

"One random corner, one passer by, one slip of the wheels on this wet road and we're dead. Just that like. Bang!" I shout and he inches away from me, angry and scared.

"Mam's right. You're fucking nuts! Stop this car, right now! I'm not wearing a seatbelt!" He yells. "Stop the car? If you say so." I slam on the breaks and with glass smashing, rain filling the car, Carl goes through the windscreen.

His whole body flies forward with the impact, about ten feet down the road and for a split second, I hear his scream of surprise as he scrapes along the road, rolling and twisting until he suddenly slams against the concrete, face down.

My head throbs for a second and I see stars. When my vision clears, I can see his still form on the ground and reluctantly get out into the rain to investigate. "Carl?" I stumble over to him, pretty sure I've hurt my leg and cautiously kneel on the ground beside him.

"Carl." I place a hand on his back and shake gently. He gives no response and I feel my panic turn into anger. "Answer me!" I give him a thump. "Anwer me! Answer me! Fucking answer me!" I turn him over onto his back and I scream, falling onto my arse.

Half of the skin on Carl's face is been ripped away, due to the scraping on the floor. The raw flesh around the eye is bleeding and running down into his mouth. His hair sticks up in tufts and a long bleeding cut is stretching from his forehead down to his nose. And his nose, that's definately broken.