27 - forgotten pillow

"where's mattsun?" you asked when makki showed up the intersection before the school by himself.

you and kentaro were already with iwaizumi who was struggling to tie his tie due to the piece of toast in his mouth.

"funny thing.." makki laughed nervously. "he's caught the cold."

"i'm skipping school. byee." you turned and began walking to mattsun's house.

"can we skip too?" kentaro asked and watched as you left.

"nope. let's go, kid." iwaizumi pushed kentaro's back and let his tie hang loosely off his neck.

"oh come on." kentaro was dragged to school by makki and iwaizumi.

you took your phone out and texted mattsun a quick "hi" but he didn't answer. he still hadn't answered even when you arrived at his house.

upstairs in his room mattsun's little sister was sitting on his bed and pressed her hand against his forehead.

"issei, how did you get sick?" his mom sighed. "you were fine at night."

"guess i shouldn't keep the fan on so high at night." mattsun said and remembered how you looked in his jacket last night.

"can i stay home from home?" mattsun's sister, mai, asked. "i can take care of him!"

"no, you're going to school. issei do you need anything before we go?"

"nope. i'm fine." mattsun sat up and looked over at his bed stand. "water, my phone, and a book. i'm good."

"im taking an extra shift tonight so i won't be home until late. our neighbor is gonna bring you home mai, don't bother your brother during that."

"okay." mai got off the bed and waved at issei. "have fun being alone issei!" that's when the doorbell rang. "i'll get it!"

"mai no!"

mattsun watched as his mom ran after his sister and he picked up his phone. he was surprised when he saw the text from you and started to text you back.

then he perked up like a puppy when he heard your voice from outside his room.

"hello." mattsun's mom said when she opened the door.

"hi, im one of mattsun's friend. or should i be calling him issei-"

"he randomly came down with the cold. don't know where it came from."

"hi!" mai looked out from behind her mom and smiled up at you.

"hello." you smiled back down at her.

"i'll take you to issei!" mai grabbed your hand and led you upstairs. "so you're his friend?"

"yep."

"what's he like in school? does he break the rules? does he cheat on his tests?" mai asked.

"can you keep a secret?" you leaned down and whispered into mai's ear.

"yeah!" she nodded excitedly.

"i think he does cheat on tests." you said and she let out a gasp. "or he has some secret power that makes him really smart."

"i knew it!" mai pushed open the door and revealed mattsun. he sat up straighter when he saw you and waited for you to come in.

"mai let's go!"

"okay!" mai turned to look at you and mattsun. "have fun! issei don't scare her away!"

"scare me away?" you asked when mai ran back downstairs.