Bruises

The train ride felt longer than ever before, although I guessed it was because I had never wanted to be back at school this badly, combined with the fact that I had a compartment to myself with nothing to do. I watched the snow fall as the train sped across bridges and forests, thinking about what I was going to do when I got back.

All I had wanted to do since the day I got off the train at Kings Cross two weeks ago was to see the twins. To see Fred. But after everything that had happened this break, I wasn't sure if I was ready. I had been up early today, covering the bruising in layers upon layers of concealer, but I wasn't sure how well it would hold up. I could get by wearing scarves and letting my hair cover my neck, but the black and blue lining my jaw and under eyes was the most difficult.

Finally, the train slowed to a stop in Hogsmeade and I watched a few students pass my compartment before I stood to follow them out into the village. It was only now as I followed the small pack of students towards the castle's outline in the distance that I remembered I would have to pass the Dementors once again. I took a deep breath, scanning ahead to see if we were close enough to see them yet. Passing the dark creatures seemed a small price to pay to get back to the remaining months of happiness locked inside the school, but I was just worried about embarrassing myself passing out on all of these strangers.

When we drew closer, I could make out their floating selves lining the gates, staring eagerly at the students as we walked. We would be next to them in less than fifty feet, and I could already feel the bone chilling cold spreading through my lungs. I looked side to side, seeing a group of Gryffindor girls near me who might consider helping me up if I collapsed.

I began to notice a foggy haze surrounding the students and I, but I wasn't entirely sure if it was real or inside my head. I stared into the stone walkway as I passed through them, feeling dizzy, my heart racing in my chest before I heard my name being called.

The twins, Ron, Harry and a few random Gryffindor's were a few dozen feet in the air hitting quidditch balls around, obviously soaking in their last day of break. By the time I spotted the twins, Fred's feet had already hit the ground, jumping off his broom while he was still considerably high up in the air.

He was at my side in two seconds, nodding hello to a few students as they continued up to the castle. I leaned into him without a second thought and felt his arms surround me, breathing in his familiar scent.

"Look at you, brave girl, those Dementors don't stand a chance, huh?" He tried to joke but I couldn't laugh. Everything still felt dark and cold.

"Hey, Cass! Welcome back!" George landed next to Fred and I, holding his broom in one hand as he waited for Fred to let go of me.

"Hi." I tried for a smile, inching up towards the castle.

"Oh, right, let's get out of here." Fred shot a look at the gates behind us, a few of the Dementors turned to watch us, their faces hidden in darkness beneath their hoods.

"I'm gonna finish the game, you out Fred?" George raised his eyebrows, shooting his twin a knowing smirk.

"I forfeit!" Fred called, sarcastically. "Was starting to feel unfair anyways, think it's time I let someone else win." He looped his arm around my waist and I struggled to keep my heart from leaping from my body.

He's just worried you're going to pass out. It's not like that.

"You didn't write back." Were his first words once we parted from his friends.

"What?" I started, tearing my mind from my thoughts stuck on his hand on my hip. "Oh, the owl." My voice squeaked out, and I prayed he didn't notice.

"Too busy for me, Olsen?" He smirked, and I shook my head with a small smile.