The Yule Ball

It had been over a week since I had woken up in Fred's bed, his arm draped over me, breathing in the scent of cinnamon and fireworks, and just as I had feared: feeling stupid.

I had since spent every meal with my friends at the Hufflepuff table and only talked to either of the Weasley Twins in passing. As Christmas break was fast approaching, the teachers were piling on more and more work and surprise tests to study for, which kept me busy in the library most of the time anyway.

However, schoolwork and tests were the farthest thing on anyones mind today. Everyone had finished with our work and copied down our homework assignments, thinking longingly of the weekend ahead of us when Professor McGonagall had gathered our attention once again.

"I have some news for you all before we leave. As I'm sure you're all aware, you were asked to bring dress robes to school this year. This is due to the fact that, as is tradition during all tri-wizard tournaments, Hogwarts will be hosting a ball."

She paused for only a moment to let the excited buzz and whispers flare up in the room, Maddie spinning to Bri and I and grabbing onto our forearms tightly.

"You will all be expected to be on your very best behavior, I will not have any student of Hogwarts, much less Gryffindors," She shot a look to the other side of the room, narrowing her eyes at Harry and Ron who had not ten minutes ago been caught in a battle with fake wands. "Making a mockery of this event. Only fourth years and up will be permitted, although you may ask someone younger if you wish. The Yule Ball is first and foremost a dance, and is always a wonderful evening that I am sure you will all enjoy."

With a small smile she released the class and we all scurried out into the hallways.

"I know who I'm asking." Maddie smiled, a glimmer in her eyes as she scanned the hallways as if to find him to ask right now.

"Maddie, just wait two days and someone will ask you." I teased, knowing how many boys would take my beautiful friend to the ball in a heartbeat.

"You're one to talk!" Bri smirked as we continued towards our common room, excitedly.

"How am I one to talk?" I asked nervously, sure they were going to bring up Fred.

"I'm surprised there's not fireworks above our head already announcing the two of you are going together." Hannah laughed, the other two joining in as I shook my head.

"He's not going to ask me guys." I tried for a smile.

"Like hell!" Bri yelled, taking a step in front of me. "Did something happen between you guys?"

"No." I shook my head, feeling a sharp tug at my heart thinking about the red head. "I just don't think he wants to be with me. I don't really know what's going on." I sighed as we turned the corner.

"Olsen!" A voice called and the four of us spun to see Cedric Diggory rushing towards us.

"Hi, Cedric." I smiled, glad for the excuse to stop the Fred talk.

"Sorry, girls, can I borrow Cassidy for a bit?" He smiled, my friends clearly holding back grins.

"Just bring her back eventually." Maddie called as I followed Cedric back up the stairs.

"In decent condition!" Bri finished and I shook my head, hearing Cedric laugh under his breath.

"So, have you heard about the Yule Ball?" The tall boy asked, stopping us in the entrance hall and leaning against a stone pillar.

"Yeah, just now. It's going to be crazy around here for a while, I think." I laughed, looking around at the over excited students rushing through the halls in whispers.