Under the Stars

I led the Weasley's down the long row in the nearly empty theater, noticing a few couples in the back row. I took the seat at the end of the row and leaned back against the soft fabric of the chair as Fred plopped down next to me.

"Is it already starting?" He asked, eyes focused on the screen which was playing commercials.

"Way to go, Ron, we missed it so you could buy overpriced popcorn?" George muttered from Fred's side.

"It's not started, they're commercials, like on the radio!" I explained, keeping my voice low even though we practically had the theater to ourselves.

"Oh, commercials." Arthur nodded, the pieces clicking together in his brain.

We watched in silence for a few minutes before the next trailer began, eerie music filling the large room.

"This looks wicked." George nudged Ron's arm and then Fred's.

"It's Halloween." I explained with a shrug. "They're okay movies, they're not really that scary, I bet you guys would be bored."

"We'll come see it for Halloween then, yeah?" Fred asked, looking between my eyes and the screen every few seconds.

"Sure, we'll come see it for Halloween." I smiled, settling into my chair as the lights went out in the theater.

The opening scene began as Ron passed the half empty popcorn bin down the line, shrugging when it returned back to him and digging back in. Ginny and Arthur were taking turns on the candy they had gotten, a slight crinkle of plastic every time one of them grabbed for one. George and Charlie's eyes were fixated on the screen, but I was watching Fred, his neck craning around the room, following the huge stream of light to the back of the theater.

"What are you looking at?" I whispered.

"How does it work?" He hissed back, and I stifled a laugh.

"I don't really know, Freddie. It's like a projector in the back and they put the image on the screen. It's not magic, it's just electricity. Just watch the movie."

I leaned onto one elbow on our shared arm rest, letting myself picture for just a second if it was just the two of us at this movie. If maybe he would hold my hand in the dark or wrap his arm around my shoulder. Fred of course wasn't thinking any of this, his eyes finally glued to the movie. I smiled to myself at the seven of them all watching so intently. It was funny, all of the powerful wizards and witches who could set fires and heal wounds with the wave of their wands all awestruck over a moving picture.

I could tell that the movie was nearing the end, just from the music, but I didn't want it to. I looked down quickly at the arm rest between Fred and me, our arms lying side by side, fingers wrapped around each others. I don't know how long we had been holding hands, but I knew as soon as the lights came on it would end. And we would probably never talk about it, like how we hadn't talked about the way he kissed my head or called me beautiful on the beach the other day.

As the screen turned black and the credits began, the lights came up in the room, but Fred didn't drop my hand right away. The rest of the row of Weasley's began to stretch and rose from their seats before Fred finally gave my hand one last squeeze and stood up as well, turning to wait for me.

"That was great, Cassidy, honestly." Ron said, Ginny nodding from his side.

"Yeah, she invented the movies." George joked, starting towards the stairs to the lobby.

"Did you both take notes?" Ginny called behind her, looking at the twins and referring to their future prison break needs.

"Shove off Gin!" They echoed as we pushed through the double doors into the afternoon air.