Thirty Feet Up

I tossed the left over confetti that hadn't found it's way into everyone's hair into the wastebasket after Fred. The twins had both insisted on leaving it for tomorrow, since 'the room is trashed anyway,' but I knew that by morning the house elves would have everything cleaned up, and I didn't want them picking up each individual piece of the shimmering paper.

I sat squished in beside George and Lee with a few of the Gryffindor girls at the couch across from us for a few hours, taking small sips of the drink Lee had gotten me, remembering the headache I felt the morning after their last party all too well.

I had only a few sips left in my cup when Fred caught my eye, flashing me a smile and nodding over to our couch we had sat on at the last party. I watched him stand from where he had been perched on the arm rest of our couch and followed him, thankful that either no one noticed the pair of us leave, or that they chose to ignore it.

"Are you having fun?" Fred asked, pausing at the table on the way to the isolated couch to refill his drink, setting the bottle back on the table when I declined his offer of a refill.

"Of course!" I smiled, looking around the cozy room. I had always loved being at Hogwarts, obviously, but it had never felt so much like home as it had this year. Especially the last few weeks. Hanging out with either of the twins or the trio, all I could think about was this summer. Not having to go home, it would be like never leaving Hogwarts, but without the classes.

"When's your birthday?" Fred asked, breaking me from my extensive train of thought.

"I would have thought a real friend would know my birthday by now!" I teased, knowing I had probably never mentioned it.

"Shove off, I would have remembered if you'd ever said it!" He rolled his eyes, the smile never leaving his face.

"Maybe I should go give that broom to George, maybe he's the better friend-" I laughed out before his hand fell on top of my leg, stopping my words mid-sentence.

"Cassidy." He shot me his best glare and I felt the smile spread across my face without thinking.

"It's July 15th." I answered finally, not being able to handle the amusing glare for much longer.

"Oh, it's right before Harry's." He scanned the room for the trio, finding them huddled in a corner with Dean and Seamus. "Mum will be thrilled, she'll get to plan a whole day."

"Fred, No!" It was my turn to glare now. "You're not going to tell her. It's bad enough they have to have me stay there all summer, I don't need anything for my birthday."

"Probably just a cake, and dinner, and maybe a present if she likes you. Who knows, maybe she'll hate you!" He smirked.

"You're awful. Don't tell her or I'm taking the broom back." I warned him, laying back on the couch.

"Oh sure, make yourself at home." He laughed as I took over nearly all the space on the couch.

"What are you doing tomorrow?" I asked, not wanting any awkward silences.

"Prolly gonna have to go test out this new broom. Not used to riding anything that goes above 3 miles an hour."

I smiled, elated that he was this excited for his gift, but still feeling guilty for only being able to get one of them a broom.

"Think George will be hurt that I didn't get him one?" I asked quietly, despite knowing that my voice could never be heard over all the noise in the common room.

"Nah, he understands that I'm the better beater." He laughed when my hand hit his arm. "Fine, maybe I'll share with him. Sometimes."

"Maybe he can use it against Slytherin, you know, if you're the better beater, you don't need the advantage." I smirked.