The Second Task

Fred

"Come on! Trust me, have I ever lead you astray?" I asked, pulling her carefully over the snow covered grounds towards Hagrid's hut.

"Oh no, but I do hear you're fond of pranks..." She smiled, hands still covering both of her eyes.

"Well at least I remembered to have you grab a coat this time? You trust me now?"

She shook her head, still smirking to herself when we reached the fence posts.

"Alright, open."

She pulled her hands from her eyes and I watched them go wide, a bright smile spreading from ear to ear.

"What are you?" She gushed, taking a few tentative steps towards the small golden ponies.

"Hagrid's lesson from today. You'll see them this week I bet, but I knew you'd like them." I chuckled, watching as the two unicorns rushed towards the blonde girl like puppies ready to play. She reached out her hand slowly before rustling their manes and planting a kiss on each one's head. "Cassidy, don't kiss them."

"Why, they need love, they're cold." She, as well as the unicorns, gave me their best pouts and I rolled my eyes. "You are so cute, yes you are. What are your names? Why is Hagrid keeping you outside, you should be in there drinking hot cocoa and snuggling with Fang-"

"I'm really regretting bringing you now." I teased, taking a few steps to meet her, remembering how Hagrid had mentioned that the younger unicorns didn't usually mind men. "I won't let her smother you guys." I whispered into the first one's ear.

"Ah, Miss Olsen, there you are." Professor Sprout's voice carried over the cold winter air. "Hello, Mr. Weasley. Miss Olsen, I'm sorry to tear you from the unicorns, I've been sent to fetch you dear."

"For what?" She asked, looking at the head of Hufflepuff House in confusion.

"Nothing bad, Cassidy, just come with me now, it'll be good to get out of the cold anyhow. Mr. Weasley, I trust you can find your way to the castle without Miss Olsen?" Sprout offered me a kind smile and I shrugged.

"I dunno, Professor, but i'll give it my all."

"Oh, and Mr. Weasley, when you do get back to the castle, Professor McGonagall is looking for your brother, Ron and Miss Granger as well, if you should see them."

"Alrighty." I nodded, watching Sprout lead my girlfriend across the grounds, trying to remind myself that I could have every day with Cassidy, it didn't matter if this one was cut short.

I scanned the Hufflepuff table for her familiar curls, a frown settling on my face when I didn't spot them. I saw her friends, huddled together, everything seeming quite normal. I barely noticed the food I was shoveling into my mouth until my plate was clean. I jumped from my seat and hurried to the three Hufflepuff girls I had grown so used to the past few weeks.

"Why, hello Frederick, to what do we owe the pleasure?" Maddie smiled warmly as the other girls turned towards me.

"Ladies," I nodded them a greeting. "Where's Cassidy?"

"There's something I've never heard him ask, she's always with you, isn't she?" Bri smirked, scanning the table I had just left as if expecting to see that I had abandoned Cassidy over there.

"But she's not, I thought she'd be with you all. Sprout came to get her earlier, I haven't seen her since."

"Oh, brother. Sprout and Cassidy have little meetings sometimes, she's probably trying to get her to join some new club or tutor another first year." Hannah shrugged.