Educational Decree #26

(mild sexual content warning... maybe?)

"Mass breakout from Azkaban, Ministry fears Black is rallying point for old Death Eaters." Hannah read through a mouthful of eggs.

The four of us grew silent as she skimmed the rest of the article, reading a few more important sentences out loud before I finally set my fork down, knowing I wasn't going to be eating anymore. Finally, she set the paper down on the table and all of us leaned in, scanning over the ten black and white photos of the mad looking dark wizards.

"That's it?" Bri asked, sounding indignant. "What's Fudge doing about it?"

"'We find ourselves in the same position as two years ago,' Yeah, and you didn't catch Black either!" Maddie echoed Bri's sentiment and I took a sip of my tea as an excuse not to have to speak.

I wanted to go back to bed. Back to an hour ago, even ten minutes ago, before I had known what all of the whispers had been about. They had dementors at every exit when one, suspected, murderer was loose. How many would they send with ten running around?

"You okay, Cass?" Maddie asked, the other girls looking to me at her words. "You look pale."

I nodded and waved a hand, watching my tea cup refill itself and adding in some sugar absentmindedly. Of course Hannah had nothing to worry about with her perfect blood-line, Bri and Maddie were probably fine too being half-bloods. Everyone knows the kind of people the Death Eaters wanted gone.

"Hi, love." Fred's body dropped onto the bench next to me, his lips pressing to my cheek quickly as he pulled me close. I scanned over his features now, noticing the slight lines creasing his forehead and the lack of smile.

"Hermione got the Daily Prophet too?" I asked, earning a shrug and a nod.

Along the staff table, everyone was either huddling in small groups sharing whispers or peering over their own copies of the Prophet. I held back a sigh. If Dumbledore looked worried, you knew it was bad.

"Cass, those aren't the earrings you were wearing before?" Bri changed the subject at last, everyone's eyes snapping towards my ears.

"Oh," I smiled to myself, watching Fred take a sip of my tea to stifle his own chuckle. "They change colors."

"They match your necklace now." Maddie's nose crinkled when she smiled, reaching over to push the hair out of my face for a better view of the jewelry. "Oh, never mind." She pulled back, her eyes latched onto my ears. "Changed again."

"To what?" Fred leaned forward, a grin spreading across his face. "Oh. Diamond. Classic."

"Alright, let's get to class." I slung my book bag over my shoulder, letting my hair fall back over my ears purposefully as Fred stood with us.

"Walking us to class, Weasley?" Maddie asked as we stepped out of the Great Hall.

"Thought I might." He nodded, the same smile from our seats still lingered on his face, yet his eyes looked miles away.

"So chivalrous." Bri teased from behind us with Hannah.

We reached the transfiguration classroom pretty quickly, Fred slowing down a bit as we drew near the door and the girls taking his hint and heading inside, Maddie shooting us a wink before sliding into her seat.

"It's gonna be okay." I blurted before Fred could speak.

"What is?"

"You. Me. Your family. Everyone's gonna be okay."

"Who said I was worried about that?" His smile was back again as he looped our fingers together against my thigh.

"Your face since breakfast." I squeezed his hand. "I don't need earrings to know what's on your mind."