Black Sheep

I blinked into the softly lit room. I could tell I had slept in, the yellow sunlight seeping through the pale curtains of the infirmary.

"You're still here." I offered the ginger next to me a small smile, feeling the weight of his hand on mine before I had even noticed him. He looked exhausted, the skin around his eyes red. I knew he hadn't slept much.

"I told you I would be." He answered, stretching his legs out before him and then sitting up straighter. I glanced around the hospital wing, counting the beds quickly. Harry was sat in a chair between two beds where I could make out Ron and Hermione, both fast asleep. Ginny had pulled a seat up next to Hermione's bed, her arms spread into a makeshift pillow near the girls feet. George too was asleep at Ron's side, his head drooped against the wall behind the chair that he was much too tall for. Neville had the bed next to mine, Luna across from him, already awake and flipping through a Quibbler lazily.

"You guys don't have to stay." I whispered, not wanting to wake anyone from their much needed sleep. "You know what they say. Not a safer place than Hogwarts."

"I happen to know that's a lie." Fred yawned, running his hand softly along my leg above the blankets and earning a shiver where his touch had been. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine." I answered, mechanically.

The night before had been a blur, getting back to the school, being rushed to the infirmary, Madame Pomfrey nearly fainting from the sight of us, books flying to her aid on what to do about Ron's injuries. I suppose they don't teach you about detached brains in healer training.

"Anything hurt? Madame Pomfrey said you could take-"

"I don't need to take anything. Nothing hurts." Half a lie. Aside from the dull ache that I could still feel throughout my body, my chest hurt the most. Every time I had a spare second, I was back with her. My mother, the death eater.

Fred hadn't seen. He didn't even know anything that had happened. So while Madame Pomfrey was busy assessing Ron, Hermione and Luna, Fred had nothing but time to question me on the nights events.

And I couldn't tell him both. I couldn't tell him about the cruciatus curse and my mother reappearing, exposing herself as a death eater, her being the one to torture me.

So I chose the easier one. The one that I knew wouldn't make him want to leave me. The one that doesn't paint me a descendent, a byproduct of two of the cruelest people I've ever known.

And before he could ask any more questions, it was my turn to be checked over.

But Lupin knew. And I'm sure by now that everyone in the Order would know. Arthur and Molly would know. I would have to handle that. I wouldn't be responsible for putting the Weasley's in danger. I had decided last night, before my sleeping drought had finally beaten my brain in the battle for dominance. I would be getting my own place this summer. I couldn't stay with the Weasley's. I certainly couldn't stay with Fred.

"Do you want me to get you some breakfast?" He asked softly, and I was sure he had been watching me stew in silence for the past few minutes.

"Not very hungry." I mumbled, tucking the blanket closer to my chin and listening to Neville's snores next to us.

"You need to eat, Cassy." His voice was soft, but I could tell it was an order, not a request. "What time did you guys even leave yesterday? Did you even have dinner?"

I shook my head, leaving out the fact that we had also missed lunch. It seemed as if sitting our History of Magic exam had been weeks ago instead of a mere 24 hours.

"I'm getting you something." He stood abruptly, the chair screeching as it slid along the tile floor. "Come on, George. Breakfast." He kicked George's chair twice, the younger twin darting awake, wide eyed.