一 SIX 一

六 The Imperial princes

The ladies went into their respective groups and those in high power started with those that would rival their family background. Some of the unmarried ladies formed their group; a leader and several of her followers are on her back giving her flatteries and honoring their leader.

The first and second miss of the original and her current body has formed their subgroups. The second miss whose name is Meng Jia Yue is the leader of the shu born daughters, as well as some di daughters which she assumes, have a great relationship with her. After all, di born children and shu born children are like fire and oil— they are not in the same social standing and are like heaven and earth. But she also could feel that Meng Jia Yue is a smart lady— she is too capable to let the di daughters follow her, that is an ability that someone of her identity could not even achieve.

"Third sister, you can just come with us, we are family after all"

"Thank you Second sister" she meekly replied and bowed her head, not minding the ridicule and pity that was their eyes.

Meng Jia Yue is also a great beauty with apricot eyes overflowing with gentleness and a shallow arc of her rogue lips that always seems to smile. She seems more mature compared to other spoiled missuses and is a talented lady from the looks of her action and virtuous attitude to those who are younger or older than her.

She seems like the perfect lady; a di daughter with a regal and mature attitude compared to the willful and tyrannical behavior of the true di daughter.

Meng Jia Yi continued to walk behind them, not saying anything, and was quietly admiring the flowers but without the amazement that one could see. XiXi trailed beside her with her head lowered down as the head eunuch leads them to another part of the garden.

There in the pavilion were three men on rare brocades, each having their charm that made women have a hard time in choosing.

The unmarried ladies bashfully took a look at the three men with apple-red cheeks and giggles floating around; their sleeves brushing into each other as they acted like water snakes moving left and right.

Meng Jia Yi was startled, she didn't know she would see some princes in this garden what's more this is the inner palace. This is the Imperial Noble Consort palace where unmarried young ladies are taking their time to envy and wander to the Imperial Noble Consort palace's garden.

The first man stood like a bamboo exuding magnificence; brows furrowed as he flips a book about the laws and order; lips on a thin line oozing with solemnity.

"The first prince is truly astounding" a woman sighs in adoration as she looks at the prince.

"That's right, my father says that he is more like his majesty when the imperial emperor has just started reigning the Fu dynasty" another states, the two seem close and the second person seems more informed about the princes.

She slightly moves to hear better, XiXi couldn't bear to look at the prince and gazes at her in confusion while she moves to the Mongolia flowers.

Another man with swords-like brows and a burly figure could be seen practicing. Whoosh. The wind was sliced with the sword and even the ladies could barely stop themselves from squealing as a leaf fell in half. The man was coated in sweat, honey-glazed skin that almost glow from the sun, and a mighty gaze that emits arrogance made her look to another figure.

"The second prince is also mighty!"

"The second prince was heavily praised by his majesty for his excellent performance in the war and for capturing the enemy's general"

The third prince however was sitting with the flowers blooming on his back, the smell of ink permeates from the air. His back was straight, his hand was holding a calligraphy pen and as he moves with such precision that it almost feels like he was writing such an important decree, he stops. His face lifts from his earlier bowed head, like a clean, smooth white jade his face was impeccable. He looks like a top scholar and his every move feels like watching a performance; he was gentle like moving water and steady like the mountains.

"The third prince is everybody's pick. He's such a gentleman"

"That is right, even the scholars that his majesty looked up to praised the third prince for his wisdom"

With all the information that she got, Meng Jia Yi then left the missus that was sending yearning looks and devoted praises to the heavenly-born princes. They all have one thing in mind, to become Xiunus and be recognized by the princes.

In her mind, those three princes were told to present their most capable self to the ladies to attract their eyes and have their maternal family back them to become king. What's more, she also learned that they are empty on their knees, no wives or fiances have been introduced to them making the noble families look at them like gold.

She sneered at the three princes who are now like animals being ogled at by the common people and strode far away not knowing that she has caught the attention of the third prince.

Fu Jun Bei hid his smile but the glint of interest that spreads in his pupils was an indication that he has caught an interesting toy.

"What's got you smiling third brother?" The second prince, Fu Jun Zhong asked as he carried his sword with his powerful arms.

"I just understood Master's teaching today" he then heard the snort from Fu Jun Zhong and decided to take out another scroll to paint a red peony flower.

Fu Jun Long saw the flower that his third brother painted, it was the king of flowers and his eyes narrowed before continuing his work.

With that in mind, Meng Jia Yi got the excuse of having a cold due to the weather and have a palace maid escort her to leave the palace in fear of the Imperial Noble Consort being afflicted with fever. XiXi thought that she was inflicted with fever again and wrapped her in her thick robe and hurried out of the palace of the Imperial Noble Consort.

She was just about to enter the carriage to leave the gates of the inner palace when she caught sight of a figure with wet clothes dripping with water and seaweeds along with his hair dropping sloppily across his pale face. His lips were chapped and his eyes reminds her of a wolf that first entered the city with its gleam of ferociousness and vigilance. 

"Fo- greetings to fourth prince" the palace maid was caught off guard and immediately bowed her head after seeing the familiar eunuch behind the fourth prince.

Meng Jia Yi can only copy the palace maid offbeat and lowered her body, waiting for the prince to accept their greeting and moving on.

Except he just stared at them before walking away, leaving muddied steps with his back hunched not minding the curious glances from the palace maids.

Notes:

• Xiunu (lit. Beautiful/Elegant woman) were daughters of officials and noblemen, who were selected to be wives or concubines for members of the imperial family
Empty under his knee means not having descendants.
• Being inflicted with fever is serious in this ancient period since the medicine was not advanced and sometimes backward.

***
Sixth chapter! Hope you like this chapter!

We all know what would happen to the princes that hold no favor and with no maternal backing; they are left to rot and die in the palace. There is also no way they would not kill each other when the time that the old emperor died, surely massacre will happen and the other enemy prince no matter if they are brothers would be killed to make sure that no one would usurp the throne.

Have a great day and stay safe!

Please do VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!