- SEVENTY- TWO -

七十二 Flowers being raised in a cage

Red. Glowing bright red starting from the curtains, the lanterns hung high above from three-story platforms, several intricate tables, and a platform for the most well-versed musician to perform. Flower-like mile in every person they met, dignitaries and rich affluent men roamed the entrance of the brothel house as they were given the best service from every servant inside. The smell of brewed tea and fragrance mixed in with the air, further lulling one's senses away from the harsh reality.

In this place, everyone interacts with women who are the outliers in this patriarchal society— these women are trained to be their counterparts.

"When I listened to her music
I sighed for her
Now hearing her sad story
My sighs doubled"

Meng Jia Yi watches as a woman as lovely as a rose brought a pipa to her mouth releases based such an intoxicating sound. The man who recited the poem rose in his seat and applauded after the end, his eyes watching the woman in full appreciation.

"Thanking the young master" a slant on the corner of her lips, a sweet smile then bloomed as the spotlight was taken away from the music to her.

Countless applause rang in four walls of the tea house attached to the building of the brothel house; her eyes watches as the woman in pink bend down in gratitude before leaving the platform in equal grace.

"Bai Yang Xie, one of the rising newcomers in this house. She will be your rival" Yi Mein stated, her eyes then narrowed even further to the leaving figure.

The woman named Bai Yang Xie has soft features that contrast with her upbringing— rigid and polished. It seems like she went on the route of being a performer that can only be attained through the arts and music.

Meng Jia Yi's mind turned, it started to work again and her job in her modern life begins to unravel. Several plans for the future and innovative motions began to take root in her head, she was just waiting for the right time to unleash them.

She knew it wouldn't be this easy to rise to the top, several of the newcomers and the top performers all wished to be acquainted with the high-ranking officials, literati, and scholars— she is not the only one.

So she must work hard, if the other party release her full hundred percent then she will release a hundred and fifty percent.

"I will become one of the top performers" she swore, looking at the relieved look that surges in her mentor's eyes.

"I knew I was not mistaken. Remember my lessons and show your unique self"

With one last piece of advice, she was left with a new world; a new journey to step into; and a new trial to cross through.

...

"Mistress, what is that?"

A girl in her early teens looked at her mistress fiddling hands, there was a curious look on her face as she peek at the thing with wide, confused eyes.

"You'll know later"

Ci Xi, one of the servants in the famous brother house located in the grey area of the Mongols, and the Hans nodded in understanding. Ci Xi was grateful for her mistress, her face crumpled up knowing that someone was here and monitoring them. It is one of the reasons why she was brought here— the acute keen sense of her nose proved to be much more valuable than just a subservient servant. She was, after all, brought here by her father who needed to exchange food for her brothers. As a daughter, she was sold and soon met the fate of becoming a servant for years.

The sun shone amid her stares, it brought a soft light on her Mistress' face profound features and softened it.

"Mistress is truly beautiful" she states in awe, her mistress was a plum blossom— mighty with a spirit that cannon be broken. Looking at the focused expression of her mistress, she was still distressed seeing the wounds on her hands but the perseverance that her mistress shows truly makes her one of the most unique performers in this place.

"Have you finished your assignment?" the cold, soothing voice came so suddenly that Ci Xi could only stare mindlessly.

"I will do it now mistress!"

Ci Xi ran with her heart rushing to her throat, her legs could still remember the pain of being hit by a cane after forgetting her assignment. As soon as she returned to her quarters, she brought a crumpled paper situated below on her pillows and smoothed it out; then she brought a used ink pen and started practicing learning to write.

It was one of the main reasons why she fell in love with her job; she not only have a beautiful and considerate mistress but also became educated with her out-of-the-world knowledge.

"You're practicing again? Why, do you want to become a Yiji? Hmph! You dream too much!"

A sour source came behind her ears, with just a sniff she already knew who that person was and ignores her. The mistress told her to ignore those who speak of envy to her but not lower her vigilance around them.

"Tch, acting all-mighty" the girl was about to bump into her inkstone when Ci Xi pushes the table out towards the inner left corner and heard the opponent's cry of pain.

"So what? At least my mistress values me unlike someone here!"

Ci Xi then ran away, bringing the already finished assignment to her mistress's place ignoring the furious yell from her opponent.

"Miss! I finished my assignment and vented your grievance with that silly maid Shen Ru! Hmph! She thinks she can beat me, she is still too young!"

Meng Jia Yi, now known as Meng Yi, looked at the proud look of Ci Xi; she can see the tail on her back lifted and swinging happily like a proud peacock. With a smile, she poke Ci Xi's nose and continued making the snakes and ladder board game that she was making.

Ci Xi was like XiXi; full of life amidst the darkest times; it felt like she saw XiXi again and allowed her under her wings— to protect that bright smile.

The little dice were now finished and only some of the avatars are still left unfinished; it was a new board game that she created for the mischievous young masters that gave her a prize to create a game for them to play.

"Mistress! That Mistress of Shen Ru is too much! She just robbed you of the young master, hmph! Our miss is more entertaining than her bland music!" Ci Xi continued to criticize Yang Xie's actions.

Meng Jia Yi knew that the young masters that treat them well are too few that they started to be robbed of their business. These young masters are well off, pampered to the heavens and some have quite difficult temperaments. But that is why she became one of the fastest newcomers to rose to the top— because she brings out a new perspective.

"Come on, look at this" she shows it to Ci Xi and saw the amazement that burst into her eyes.

"It's so beautiful mistress! It's so good!" Ci Xi claps happily, her smile so infectious the corner of her lips turns up.

Whatever life brings to her, she will face it!

Notes:

• The ancient brothel is actually a public social place. It integrates brothels, theaters, restaurants, teahouses, academies, and painting houses
•  “Pipa xing” was a poem by Bai Juyi, a renowned poet and government official of that time. One of the most famous poems from the Tang Dynasty period.
Pipa, a short-necked Chinese lute prominent in Chinese opera orchestras and as a solo instrument.

***
Chapter 72 is up!

Meng Jia Yi has walked the path of no return, in a world where women are seen as nothing but commodities, her status in society has been demoted to mere entertainment. 

But she's working her ass off to save her family, a weak woman who only wails for help— too bad it was Meng Jia Yi's modern soul inside.

Have a great day and stay safe!

Please do VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!