- SIXTY- NINE -

六十九 An unseen alliance

Meng Jia Yi was huddled like every other refugee that fled away from the massacred ground; her eyes were erratic, no one was lowering their hinges and everybody was on alert; the smell of metallic blood mixed in with the nauseating odor of everyone begins to numb her senses.

Soon, the shadows parted like the red sea and there— a man came out with his oppressive aura immediately tormenting their breaths. He is the leader, she was sure of that and her mind calculated the plans that she made if this happened.

From her insights, the shadowed men do not kill if the other party does not resist. It could give her the chance to still live but she would be unable to return to the capital for her family.

She simply can't afford to do that.

"Do not resist, this will be the last time that something like this would happen" the man spoke, he was nonchalant about everything as if something like this was just a child's play.

Meng Jia Yi couldn't pinpoint the familiarity in those deep, expressionless eyes. As she looked further, the man naturally noticed and stared back at her and that's how she finally realized who this man is.

It was the assassin that broke through the temple and momentarily held her captive.

The man didn't spare her any more glances and ordered his warriors to let these people go back to their places; it was clear that he does not give any consideration to the sick and notable people.

After ordering, all of the shadowed soldiers pushed back the remaining people back to the storage room

If that is the case then he must not want people who have no benefit to him. She can't allow this chance to get away and even if her life is at stake, must hold it firmly.

"Wait!"

Swords fell on her sight, it gleams dangerously bright under the moonlight. Their lips were stiff in fear, legs shivering from those sharp swords as she took another step making the tip of the sword hit her neck.

"My lord! Please, take me away! Let me be your underling! I'll do anything!"

A humble dog she is but the pride left in her bones has already dissipated the moment she was forced into the royal family.

"Please, my lord, I will do anything!"

With those words, the most imposing man who would dictate her chance to find her family back turned around.

Hope blossomed in her eyes, if she could communicate the driving force to live towards that man with her eyes she would willingly give him her pupils.

"My lord, I will give my life to you to be under your jurisdiction"

A knife was placed on the slope of her breast, tightened till she remains in constant need of oxygen, and was now loosened. She brought it to her wrist, under her throbbing veins that signify her living self— she cut it off.

"Please, my lord" she begs one more time and as the blood flows into the ground she waited.

And waited.

Until signs of losing her life reappeared; dark spots dotted her sight and the feeling of breathlessness became more apparent, that's when she finally lost consciousness.

But not until one of the shadowed men brought her back finally allowing her to win this bet.

A bet for life.
A bet for a chance.
A bet to live.

...

A woman with a pale complexion almost like that of a corpse lay on the sheets; her thin hollowed cheeks and the pointed chin as well as protruding bones tell ole of the suffering that she suffered. Now, the woman is sleeping heavily, as if making up for the lack of sleep but with brows still furrowed in worry for the future.

"The girl is saved but she still needs blood supplemented tonics and to keep up with nutrition" the white-haired doctor answered the middle-aged man with a wooden staff next to him.

Eunuch Sun nodded in understanding and paid the doctor before seeing him off. Soon, Eunuch Sun knocked and then entered the office of his young master.

"The girl was saved, young master" he informs, his mind was filled with questions but he did not ask his master.

A servant shall always be subservient to his master.  

Fu Jun Fen knew who the woman is, even Eunuch Sun knew who she was but they remained silent. Even he didn't know why he allowed her to live and even pulled her into his side but one thing was clear— her life is already linked to him.

"Call me once she's awake"

He watched Eunuch Sun left with unsolved questions, leaning back, he watched as dawn peek into the horizon; as if the slaughter from before was just any other day.

His thumb caresses the paper that was just received from an eagle, it was written in Kalika that only those who deal with the Mongols can decode.

Yes, he was indeed linked to the Mongols and is in the same position as the other faction. Even though he killed their great general, other generals has long schemes for the great general of the Mongolian Tribe.

With his slaughter of the great general, others were able to take over the position thus giving him slight favor. Now that he wanted to create more opportunities for the two lands to cooperate without shedding bloodshed and creating a road to make trading easier— he needs their assistance as such as them.

The first thing he would do is to create a pact with the Mongolians; the royal family has shifted and new personals have been injected into the royal court; with the money, he has which the Mongolians deeply lack after suffering from the war his wealth would be greatly appreciated in there.

Nonetheless, it would not be smooth sailing, as he help deal with the aftermath of the still resisting forces of the old factions; the Mongols that is on his side would deal with the creation of roads and businesses.

His thoughts were driven off by an incessant knock from outside. It was Eunuch Sun and he brought news.

"Young Master, the girl is awake!"

Eunuch Sun lead him to the recuperation room of the girl who is currently linked to his life and he was sure— the moment her eyes laid on him— he and she was the same person.

Both would not go down without a fight even with Yan Wang facing them.

***

Notes:

• Kalika, the writing system of the Mongolian people of north-central Asia, is derived from the Uighur alphabet c. 1310 (see Uighur language) and is somewhat influenced by the Tibetan script.
Yan Wang oversees the underworld, presides over the ten layers of Diyu, or the Chinese-Buddhist Hell, and judges the fate of the dead. He is one of the most feared gods in the belief system.

***
Chapter 69 is up!

Now, does anyone of you see the similarities between Meng Jia Yi and Fu Jun Feng? What do you think of the two of them? Why did Fu Jun Feng save her? How would this change her fate?

You can comment on your answers below!

Have a great day and stay safe!

Please do VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!