- FIFTY- EIGHT -

五十八 A hero she builds

The flame was like a torchlight that brightens up the whole street bringing forth presence towards those that have been killed in the night. It roared loudly and burned brighter each every second threatening to turn every living thing into ash. As the soldiers, servants, and enemies round up the estate they all saw how the building collapses until it merely turned into a broken siege of nothingness.

"Madam! Her highness... Her highness is still inside!" The head steward rushes in with an ashen complexion now turning brilliant red from the fire. "Bring water! Are you all deaf?! The madam... The madam is still inside!"

Heart constricted seeing the wan, discouraged faces of the servants and soon, the head steward knew that the Madam is no longer in the mortal world.

She has stepped the gates of hell and thus, is no longer alive.

Even so, he still yelled for water to be brought in; deluded himself that the third prince's wife is still alive and is just in need of a rescue.

"Head steward, the madam... is no longer with us," said one of the older maids and soon, the others reached a somber, accepting attitude.

Their deaths are near, either by the enemy or their masters, they are no longer able to live in this world. As servants, they are only ants on their master's feet and can only die based on their master's intentions. But the madam... she was kind and treated them as human beings at the end of her life, for that matter, they are willing to compromise.

"The madam stayed because... because she didn't want to become an s-stumbling block for his highness" a younger maid that successfully escaped the fire cried out.

"What happened?!"

"We were s-surrounded and the Madam didn't want t-to be held hostage.... hiccup... so she set fire on the estate and... and yelled for us m-maids to leave then-" she fell at this point, her face filled with ash and hair burned to the tips below crying out. "- she sacrificed herself to kill those enemies!"

With those words, everyone couldn't help but feel melancholic about the sudden passing of the madam. She was still young, full of life, and was newly married— she hasn't yet experienced the world before she was taken.

"I will let the third prince know of the Madam's... sacrifice and prepare a burial for the princess"

Lengthened curved shadows fell on the eyes of the third prince on the estate and soon disappeared in a flash. 

On the other hand, Meng Jia Yi who was declared of death has now burst out of the dog hole in the estate and is now about to flee into the river that she and her family decided to go to.

XiXi was running close behind her with a handful of silver banknotes and some jewelry in her hand. Terrified at the screams that echoed on the streets from time to time, she speeded up her pace.

Then she was held by the arm, fortunately, Meng Jia Yi placed her hand on XiXi's mouth before she could tell otherwise they would be in trouble.

"Follow me" she whispers, the moonlight cast a place light on the crazed, beggar look of the once elegant princess of the third prince.

Soon they reached an underground cave, this was a cave that was hard for mining and has been abandoned for years. It was so dark that they have to use their sense of smell and touch to navigate to the underground cave for fear of being discovered.

As soon as they reached the middle, Meng Jia Yi took out the wood that was doused in alcohol before it burns. It acted as their torch and seeing the way, they moved much faster and soon reached the river.