- FIFTY- NINE -

五十九 The girl who cried wolf

The moment Meng Jia Yi saw XiXi's body being dragged by the soldiers she knew there was only one thing left for them and that was death.

"There's still someone hiding behind the bushes! Ha! Think you can fool us?!"

"Another beggar, hmph, just kill it"

Cruel words transmitted to her ears and the tears that were falling on her cheeks became even more real. Gushing out of her eyes, she looked dazedly at XiXi's terrified face and her heart felt like it was breaking into two.

On the other hand, she wanted to save XiXi but there was only her against eight soldiers. If she didn't save XiXi her conscience would hunt her to the end of her life, unable to sleep peacefully for doing nothing.

Time is running out, XiXi will be killed and her family will come here only to see this situation and possibly be killed as well.

XiXi didn't call for help and briefly send her with a smile that was more uglier than a cry. A sob threatened to spill out of her mouth, several ideas to escape and save XiXi flew to her mind but it was canceled due to the risk.

"Ah!" XiXi cried, a slash fell on her back as she tries to run.

Meanwhile, the soldiers were having fun seeing the poor beggar as she tries to run for her life; it gives them the satisfaction of seeing these people as ants being crushed on their soles.

Meng Jia Yi decided to take the risk, she cannot let XiXi die because of these mad people and bet on her life.

"Brother! Wolf! Wolf! Ahh!"

She pushed through the soldiers that still carry heavy swords and bows in their hands and screamed loud enough for the soldiers to flee into a panic.

Soon, a wolf's cry resounded into the nearby forest that was near the river echoed. This sent the soldiers to even more greater peril, wolves always come with a pack and they only have eight people with them- not enough to deal with a pack of wolves.

"Leave this place!" The head shouted,

XiXi was thrown away into the ground further damaging the life-threatening wound on her chest. Meng Jia Yi can only imitate the wolf calls and soon several howls mirror her call.

"Fucking hell" she cursed underneath her breath as several horses almost trampled on her body, fortunately, she reacted swiftly and managed to getaway.

As soon as the soldiers fled, Meng Jia Yi quickly took XiXi away from the ground.

"XiXi, wake up, XiXi. We have to go, come on, I'll bandage you up" her voice was trembling but it was smoothly transferred to XiXi's ears.

XiXi's face was stricken in pain, it continues to pale as her blood overflowed out of her chest. Meng Jia Yi has some medicine in the box that she buried into the bedside river, her feet ran to the river and plunge to take out the stones that hindered her.

Cuts matted her smooth, soft palm but she didn't wince and continued until she dug out the heavy metal box that contains their fake identities and wealth. Inside it was also medicine plants and pills that she quickly brought to her arms.

"Ugh... it hurts" XiXi cried, her fingers couldn't help but tighten and tremble in fear but she took a deep breath. This is not the time to be scared.

"It will be alright, XiXi will be fine and we'll enter a new life" she soothes XiXi and it worked, she looked at her and smiled.

"Really?"

Meng Jia Yi nodded, bandaging her wound, her whole chest was covered in blood and it was warm- so warm indicating that she still has a life that is being taken away from her bit by bit. She bit her lip to suppress the maddening sob that threatens to come out of her.

She told her the future she envision, what could have happened if it weren't for his incompetence and cowardice.

"Yes, we will leave this place and start a new life somewhere else. You could grow vegetables and flowers in the backyard and I will sell out a variety of inventions. A'Rui would teach and mother will also accompany you to grow seeds"

"T-That would be g...good"

"So you have to hold on" she tightened the broken branches that hung to the cave, hiding their figures away from the wild wolves that were roaming the woods. "I will make create a signal then get back to you for a while, don't move alright? A'Rui and mother will see it and know it's us" she places her lying on the ground, several items of clothing folded to make use of a pillow to her head and another to warm her cooling body.

"Don't..." She gripped her index finger. "Don't... leave... Miss"

"Don't talk XiXi, I'll call for help okay? Just wait for me... please, XiXi"

Those reddened eyes warmed XiXi, she knew she was at the end of her road after this life-threatening wound. She was scared, deadly terrified when she was taken by those cruel, mad soldiers and then when the sword flashed into her eyes she knew her life was gone- the sword after all has no eyes.

"XiXi, please, stay with me"

She sees her master, hears her pleading for her to stay, a slave like her? Could a slave like her be able to have love and care from her master- it seems far-fetched but when it comes to her Miss it is a possibility.

"Don't leave me... please, XiXi. You can't!"

As she looks up, a smile blooms on her lips and she spoke. "I... am happy to b-be... of service to m-miss"

Hands crushed, she could feel her palm tightening from the firm hold of her miss. At this point her boneless hand has already started to loosen, the pain corroding her head and blurring her eyes out but it can never break away from the brilliance of her miss.

"I am happy... XiXi is h-happy with miss"

Those words rang truth, her heart full from all of the memories and kindness, the playful banter and flickers on the forehead. How her miss stayed the same with her even if she almost lose sight of her freedom, how she was given the chance to grow up and learn and how she was given such a fulfilling life.

It seems like the heavens have finally taken pity on her and gave her such a miss that was worth being respected and loved.

"Goodbye... Jia Yi... jie"

A weep.
A life.
A goodbye.

Notes:

• The sword has no eyes means the sword will never distinguish whom to kill or not to kill.

***
Chapter 59 is up!

Well, it was the end of XiXi, as a slave, she was taught to follow the orders of her master and is expected to give up her life on her master. In her eyes, it was normal and expected of her but when her life finally ended in exchange for her Miss' safety, she was relieved to have done such a thing.

XiXi finally gave her life to the person that she loves and respect. XiXi was not a slave but a friend, a sister and a hero.

Have a great day and stay safe!

Please do VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!