一 SEVEN 一

七 The life of a shackled concubine

The summer heat prevails outside and after leaving the stuffy carriage, Meng Jia Yi finally releases a breath and inhaled the fresh air that was devoid of smoke and air pollution.

Meng Jia Yi has already explained to XiXi that she wishes to not enter the palace again for she fears that they would be once punished. XiXi knew of her master's timid personality and felt pity after remembering the scene where she was also humiliated in the spot because of the first di eldest miss.

XiXi has the paper umbrella in her hand as she guides her miss to her yard, her eyes fluttering to her miss's figure as she constantly heard the sighs coming out from her.

'Although the carriage was not littered with ice it was certainly not that stuffy' she mused and continued to raise the umbrella to prevent her miss's skin from turning red. The skin of her young miss was as pale as the moonlight and was easily bruised with just one touch; she has always given much attention to her Miss's frail health.

"XiXi"

"Yes, miss?"

XiXi was startled and looked at her miss with wide doe eyes, she blinks and wait for her miss to say something ignoring the slight burn from her arm.

"What time is it?"

XiXi looks at the sky, the bright sunny skies and the sun that hangs high above heaven, she calculated for a second before answering.

"It's wǔ shí, young miss" XiXi then saw in the corner of her eyes the difficult look from her miss and say. "Are you hungry, miss? XiXi will tell the kitchen to prepare food for you"

Meng Jia Yi just nodded and started to walk; to be honest she didn't understand the measure of time in this fictional dynasty and could only assume that it's lunchtime.

"Can we go to Concubine Ban's yard?"

XiXi nodded obediently and they took a turn, far from the familiar path, and now walk towards a new path. The hallways were hollowed and one can see the magnificent landscape that nature gifts to mankind. The trees that stood tall against the buildings interconnected with the other houses. Some maids stopped what they were doing and bowed their heads to greet the third miss.

In their faces show no surprise, it seems like it was not unusual to see the original going into this path. Even her steps have become quite light, her heart thrumming in peace and soon she came to meet an older maid whose eyes twinkled in delight.

"Third miss, you are here" The older maid then frowned when she realized her abrupt actions and returned a respectful greeting to her. "Greetings third miss, forgive this old slave for she has acted rudely to you"

Meng Jia Yi felt something in her heart that made her hold the old maid in her arms and lift her.

"Forgo the formalities, where is Concubine Ban?"

"Concubine Ban is with the young master, but Third miss, why are you here so early? Did the event in the palace finish?" She nodded but didn't say much, the old maid also didn't ask more and lead her to the quarters of Concubine Ban.

This old maid must be the personal maid of Concubine Ban and is also a person who is close to her. She knocks on the door, the voice of a female with a soft and gentle timbre resounded and soon she came face to face with Concubine Ran.

Her mother. The biological mother of the original.

True to what her mind expected the voice that came out of her was also the reflection of her face. Gentle and warm like the first daybreak of the sun, weak but there was firmness in her eyes and with a smile from her makes her remember her now new face. It was very reminiscent of a lotus that has bloomed out of the muddy lake, startling one with the beauty that something chaotic and filthy could make.