一 TEN 一

十 Lady Shi of the west— what an act!

The sound of cane being hit in the tip of their nails letting it redden till it reached its limit. The thick shadows of the tree trunks grew further till it reaches the two figures huddled behind the screen, each of their faces unwilling, bitter and painful.

Soon the sound of hitting stopped, their cries were muffled in fear as the female tutor neared them. Heads lowered down concealing the vicious hatred and deep schemes that were present at the two young ladies.

"Now, did the young missus learn their lessons?"

Female tutor Ma Zhen's voice rang into the room, cold and alienated, like the winter wind that rushes off into their feet to their heads making them quivering like leaves.

"Yes Teacher"

Their voices were paper-thin, soft and aggrieved but it was the snort of Female tutor Ma Zhen that took away their peach blossom faces paired with dew rain flowing on their eyes.

"Remember that a family works together for the benefit of all, take away your selfishness and schemes in front of me, write the book of virtuous woman for a hundred times. That is all"

Her voice was clipped and it ended their farce, Meng Jia Yi was in awe of this retired palace maid. Her aura does match her reputation and is well fitted to teach the daughters of noble families the rules of this world. Although shackled by her gender she could still hear some wisps of independence and loathing against the injustice of this world just from her one lesson.

"Miss, let's get your hands treated"

XiXi suddenly came in, her eyes both distressed and angry before she wrapped her hands with silk to avoid getting infected. It was what she taught XiXi after seeing her apply direct alcohol to her wound and not even washing it off with clean water to rid off the impurities clinging to her wound.

XiXi look at her stone-faced mistress, there was no hint of pain from her face and she didn't even bother with the pain she might be feeling right now.

They were about to step out of the yard when a furious voice echoed into the place making them stop in their tracks.

Meng Jia Yi turned around only to see the appealing anger that flows at Meng Jia Min's eyes. It wasn't even her fault that she [Meng Jia Min] got into trouble for copying someone's poetry and claiming it as her own after she was beaten in the face by Meng Jia Yue.

In return the two got into a heated argument and pulled her in as well, Meng Jia Yue was slapped in the face by Meng Jia Min after poking her [Meng Jia Min] weak spot— her lack of beauty and talent.

In short Meng Jia Yi got into trouble for just reading aloud the poem that Meng Jia Min read and was heard by Meng Jia Yue in passing; she then turned to Female tutor Ma Zhen who got the news with thunderous face and lectured Meng Jia Min badly.

"Meng Jia Yi! Hold yourself! How dare you-"

"Young Miss! What's wrong? Young Miss, do not scare this slave!"

XiXi pales seeing her Young Miss's pale face and saw her Miss pressing her hand to her heart and rubbing it with a painful expression. Her miss is weak at birth, at times she would catch cold whenever the weather frequently changes. Concubine Ran has been a good master to her as well as her now Young Miss, XiXi couldn't see herself bowing to another master except her current Young Miss.

"Meng Jia Yi you dare to fool me- ah!"

Meng Jia Min shrieked after seeing the blood flowing off of Meng Jia Yi's bloodless lips. Hands trembled as she held on her skirt and was helped by her maid to settle down.