- SIXTY- EIGHT -

六十八 Staring at the grim
reaper's eyes

Blood. It was everywhere. In her hands, the warm metallic taste spreads into her lips and eyes and all she could see was the bloodied mess she was in- and then there was him.

A pair of eyes that looks at us as if we were just ants to be trampled easily; the back of her neck chilled and as she got a glimpse of his eyes, she stilled.

Grim reaper, she thought.

"Leave"

And so she did.

It all happened too fast, her small frame ran across numerous men that blended with the darkness and were easily consuming those that fought back. There was no turning back for her as she pushed open the door, blood sticking out to her palm as she rushed past outside where children cried and women shiver in fear.

"Uwaaa! I want my mother!"

"Shut up! Be quiet!"

"Ran faster!"

Several voices fought back, overlapping with each other and she couldn't hear a singular tone before she finds herself sliding into their fleeing group.

The wind brushes past her hair as she ran, it sticks to her blood-stained face and just like everyone else their bodies moved like thin, rotten branches of fall; moonlight sheds light on their bloodied steps, wails of death gripping their rapid beating heart, the more they ran the more they could see the rest of the men that slaughtered their own.

"Ahh! We're going to die!"

"No! I'm not one of them!"

"She's one of them- it was them!"

Because of the severity of their voices, the patrols have entered their space as they pushed any woman they were close to pushing the blame to someone else.

"Kill her!"

"Kill her! She's one of them!"

"Mama!"

Ears ringing from their high-pitched cries, she moved back to the end of the group and watches as one of the women who were the play toys Feng Xin got pointed and blamed at.

Pity will not let her live so she crushed it back, just like crushing her idea of living a peaceful life.

As she looked at the dark sky dotted with a multitude of infinite, bright stars- she has this epiphany that whatever life she would have today would undoubtedly crush her self-esteem and hopes of being normal.

Everything was well before this and as she closed her eyes, the earlier events flashed in her mind.

...

"I have good news!"

Feng Xin was on top of the hidden platform, his smile was terribly wide and one can picture the arrogance that shrouds his entire body.

"We have gathered enough forces to fight back with the sentinels that guard the captain of the sea. Thanks to our cunning chiefs, we have posted several of our members to the captain's side and tomorrow night- we will hold the captain's life and let all of the passengers here give their money and food!"

Guo Dian was nowhere to be seen as well as Ying Wei, those cunning forces may be them. Fortunately, she gave a strategic plan to capture the most important man on this ship rather than fight without any kind of plan.

"Let us celebrate!"

Hundreds of members toasted Meng Jia Yo for her accomplishments, it was nothing more than giving her a woman to accompany her or measly jewels they caught from others.

On the night of the celebration, everyone drank to their deaths and the food that they managed to stole gave them much confidence in taking over this ship. This caused the other people who have yet to become a member to resolutely subject themselves to the scrutiny of the old members before becoming one.

For some reason, Meng Jia Yi can't sleep, although her body was exhausted from being vigilant at all times she still cannot seem to fall asleep. There was something wrong, she doesn't know, she just felt something unusual today.

And her being deadly worried allowed her to survive to this day.

Swaying figures illuminated by the candle wick; stomachs rumbling in hunger as the waves never cease to calm down. It was never silent, the men continued to sing in incoherent lyrics, and the women on the side continues to moan out loud like a repressed bird as more and more members decided to take a breath of fresh air outside.

Thud.

"Did you hear that?" Meng Jia Yi asked one still sober man, he shook his head and was confined to stuffing his mouth with food.

Feeling restless, Meng Jia Yi couldn't help but stood up and walk to the door; she could see a small hole just right there and decided to peek.

And she did.

There was nothing amiss, an initial figure of a man was seen vaguely in the hole standing and she was about to leave when in the next second the head fell off from the man's figure.

"Mmmm..." She pushed her fingers to her mouth and stopped breathing, her entire body frozen in fear as her face paled much paler than the moonlight.

The next thing she knew the members of their organization fought back but were easily killed by the shadow figures. Heads rolled out of their neck and vomit threatened to spill out of her.

'Run away! Meng Jia Yi, you need to leave!' She screams to herself but her feet stayed rooted in the ground.

"Leave! You're blocking Laozi's path!"

In the end, she was able to move her body back when an intoxicated man holding a coquettish woman kicked her out of the path.

As soon as the door opened she rushes inside like a madman; as the unfortunate man opened the door it was like opening the gates of hell. Soon after, screams and grunts of fighting back resounded; the sober ones were fortunate while those that were drunk to death never get to bring a weapon in their hands.

"We will not kill those who submit!" One of the men belonging in the shadows announced.

Instantly the rest of the people fleeing stopped, their eyes still terrified and it worsen when Feng Xin retorted.

"Don't believe them! They will kiss us after this- they may have discovered our plan!"

"Fight them!"

"Kill! Kill! Kill!"

Several of Feng Xin's fighters fought, and each of them have knives in their hands. Meng Jia Yi can only look at the pitifully, there was no way they would be able to live after this.

And she was right.

It was the start of a living hell.

The world was colored in red, the once warm bodies instantly lost their vitality and shriveled to death; Feng Xin who they treated as the leader ran away in fear, his arms swinging the knife he was sovereignly showing off to the people. In just a blink, the man that tormented hundreds of weak people stumbled to his death.

Seeing their leader's death made all the members of the organization depart, from the earlier blood lust fight to a cowardly defeat. Each of them suffered, nonetheless, none of the shadows were defeated.

Shadows. Mixed in with the night as they perfectly swung their knives and gathered lives from fighters. As soon as she felt a chilling feeling dangerously looming from behind she stopped and look it right in the eye.

And then ran.

***
Chapter 68 is up!

You may be a mountain higher than others but not forever, there is always a mountain higher than yours. Meng Jia Yi has yet to experience the journey her life would take on after leaving the golden cage and into the cruel, wretched world of the lawless.

Have a great day and stay safe!

Please do VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!