- EIGHTY - THREE -

Another land was captured and this time, it was one of the hands that were being reconstructed and funded by the imperial family.

The imperial power felt like their faces has been slapped, it was a harsh take on the brewing tensions behind the Mongols and the Hans. It has been three years or so before the Mongols were defeated by the fourth prince who was now known to have taken the credit of the military personnel. Due to this news, even the common people felt the arrogance and sudden increase of power from the Mongols.

Inside the royal throne, several ministers were already up and early for their morning court; each discussing their point of view on the matter.

"Princess Mahide would be the bridge between us and the Mongolian tribe as such, there is still hope in turning the tides" it was one of the officials who were in favor to have one of the princesses in the Mongolian tribe be a part of the royal harem.

"Princess Mahide is just one of the many princesses in their tribe, would the rest approve of the peace treaty that they have already broken?" A sharp tongue general responded making the official blush in anger.

"The marriage between the two nations is sacred, it has already been decided and the integration of two nations would be celebrated by all people. It is also a must for the Mongolian tribe to be aware of the benefits that we, the Han nation, could give" another faction leaning towards a pace treaty retorted. 

"Oho! So we should entertain those barbaric tribes in our civilized nation? Should we also be one of the victims in the Hongmen Banquet we would prepare for them?" Another military personnel sarcastically countered.

The military and the officials have pitted against each other for years and now, it has officially started to fight each other blatantly. Those in the military have long expressed dissatisfaction with the Emperor's cold attitude towards them and after some of their lackeys have been sent to the front line and died— their emotions have burst out.

"His majesty is here!" One of the eunuchs announced and soon several courtiers bowed.

Fu Jun Bei can see the dark complexion of the people around him and knew that these once cunning and smart people have no solution to the current matter. With a sneer, he rebuked all of those that only think about war and peace and no tangible solution.

"Zhen's courtiers have lived and seen several dynasties yet there is no solution for such a measly country that was once defeated by our soldiers? A pity for all the wealth and glory that Zhen gave to all of you"

His eyes narrowed seeing the uncomfortable expressions of these people below him. Those he once greeted with half a smile and half flattery now dare not go east when he orders to go to the west.

"Your majesty, our soldiers are prepared to go to war but the expenditures couldn't match those that we need"

Fu Jun Bei's expression became much colder hearing those words. The money for the royal family was beginning to decrease as the expenses of the harem, new palaces being built and old palaces being rebuilt, and the new construction from several provinces increase. Now, the war between the two nations started and casualties occur followed by the rebellion of those unnecessary common people— expenses tripled.

"Why? Is the military that lavish that a soldier needed to have a full banquet to be fed full?"

Those that are in the faction of the military knew that the current emperor has not seen the intricacies of the militia. That the current Emperor only knows that soldiers are just meat shields for the country to be protected. The current emperor didn't know the sufferings and destruction that war could bring to the capital because the Emperor have only been in the ivory tower and just experienced a rebellion.

Contemptuous, greedy and arrogant.

This has chilled the military — if the emperor will not place importance on them then the country can only be led by compromising.

"Zhen will marry Princess Mahide this month, and all of the core members of the Mongolian tribe will be invited to seal the peace treaty of both nations"

Officers and scholars relish the pig liver-colored faces of those in the military and walked out with wind on their feet.

Minister of Justice, Tu Yi Guang, one of the closest courtiers of the Emperor came was spotted by Fu Jun Bei. This man has been with him for years and after having his worthless half-brother, the fourth prince, defeated in Tu Yi Guan's hands he was promoted to his side.

The two walked towards the office of the Emperor, the grandiose long hallway stretches like a snake's body; it was grim and yet filled with golden lacquers.

"Your majesty, the envoys of the Mongolian tribe is about to arrive in three days. The wines and food was also prepared and escorted as well as tested by the imperial guards. The soldiers are stationed at every entrance and exit; imperial doctors were also taken to another room that is just steps away from the imperial banquet; the ministry of rites were already finished with the embellishments and activities that would be presented in the wedding"

Fu Jun Bei smiled in satisfaction at hearing his words, all of those revealed something much sinister that would happen in the wedding.

One was attacking and the other was defending. One does not know who will win in this battle but it will be the Hans one way or another.

Notes:

• Hongmen Banquet is a banquet or some feast that is set up to murder the guest. This term is rather common in historical Chinese novels. It originated from a famous episode where Xiang Yu attempted to kill the future Han Emperor Liu Bang by setting a trap with the ‘banquet’ at the place ‘Hongmen’.

***

Hi everyone! I am back, well not sure if I will really be back as I am now finally a graduate!

I graduated in college!!!!

But herest the thing, I cannot update for almost six- seven months as I got myself some work to do. Well my father unfortunately had a stroke and as the eldest of the two sibling (me and my little brother 1 year only older than me) I got to support my family. My mom could only stop her job as a seamstress to take care of my father and so here I am today- working 9-5! Ah!!!!!

It's freaking hard but yeah, kudos to all of you working students and graduated students who work their assess of to get that degree.

Anyways I am very much not sure when I'll update but yep, well actually wattpad message me to update hahaha but seriously,  don't know when I'll update.

Don't wait up on me for new updates and new books I seriously warn y'all of false hope.

Bye and thank you so much for still loving this book!